General Water Source Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Can someone take the time to explain the difference between a spring and a ground water seep?

My assumption is that the answer has to do with how deep the water source is but that is a guess.

For example: if a water source comes up out of the ground and runs consistently throughout the year (sometimes more, sometimes less but always runs), what is it?

How does one tell? Is there a third option?

Thanks in advance - this is a clarification question I have had for some time.

Good question, but all I know is that Poland Spring water doesn't come from a spring. That's the kind of thing that adds confusion to the situation.

It seems that a seep is a type of spring that supplies its water to the surface filtered through earth, rather than a crack or fissure. Cheers! :)

It seems that a seep is a type of spring that supplies its water to the surface filtered through earth, rather than a crack or fissure. Cheers! :)

Thanks - I could buy this explanation. So clarification questions:

1. Does the source depth matter?
2. Is there a purity difference/quality difference in general?
3. Somehow "Poland Spring Natural Seep Water" just doesn't have the same appeal.

Does running throughout the year need to be a requirement for either?

Any thoughts out there? Hydrologist? Hydrologist? Anyone?

1. Does the source depth matter?

Very little. What matters is that the water is not contaminated (e.g., by sewage, which one tends to find near the surface, though some problems like arsenic or lead can originate at depth) or, equivalently, that contaminants have been removed (e.g., by filtration). Natural filtration (sand, etc) is not quite as efficient as the modern membranes they use for bottled water (or the little filters you find installed under the sink in kitchens), so you would want at least several feet of filter material, but that's nothing compared to the depths at which water often travels. Regardless of whether it comes out as a seep or a spring, the water often gets filtered on its way down.

There are two reasons why people became convinced that spring water is healthy: 1) surface water (and some wells) that is collected where people live, is collected where people and their farms and animals create sewage and other pollution. Only takes a few cholera outbreaks to give river water a bad reputation. 2) Marketing snake-oil. Selling bottled water is like printing money. People will believe that the waters of a particular place will cure anything. Sometimes health affects are attributed to a local deity, and sometimes it's said to be because of the particular mineral content of the water - you know, sodium, lead, uranium.

2. Is there a purity difference/quality difference in general?
I doubt it. Too many variables affecting water quality, and anyway you're usually comparing "excellent" to "excellent", so who cares?

Does running throughout the year need to be a requirement for either?
Nope.

Very little. What matters is that the water is not contaminated (e.g., by sewage, which one tends to find near the surface, though some problems like arsenic or lead can originate at depth) or, equivalently, that contaminants have been removed (e.g., by filtration). Natural filtration (sand, etc) is not quite as efficient as the modern membranes they use for bottled water (or the little filters you find installed under the sink in kitchens), so you would want at least several feet of filter material, but that's nothing compared to the depths at which water often travels. Regardless of whether it comes out as a seep or a spring, the water often gets filtered on its way down.

Thanks for the response - On encountering many springs and seeps along hikes, and having one or the other on my property, I have always been interested in the difference. I will be testing the water from this "seep" or "spring" to see if it has any contaminants.

Marketing snake-oil. Selling bottled water is like printing money.

It has always suprised me that people will go nuts over a few cents shift in the price of gasoline at $3.50 per gallon yet seemingly have no problem paying near $8/gallon (at $1 per 500 ml) for a liquid that is completely free (water).

Speaking of snake oil, anyone interested in a $2 bottle of Dr. Raven's Deep Seep Water? "Cures whatever ails ya!"

It has always suprised me that people will go nuts over a few cents shift in the price of gasoline at $3.50 per gallon yet seemingly have no problem paying near $8/gallon (at $1 per 500 ml) for a liquid that is completely free (water).

Speaking of snake oil, anyone interested in a $2 bottle of Dr. Raven's Deep Seep Water? "Cures whatever ails ya!"

Well its about 64 cents a gallon or less in quantity. I can remember days when the water in Burlington Vermont had so much chlorine in it, it tasted like pool water. And the water at my sister's in NYC is pretty bad too. So now and then its good to have something without the extra chemicals.