genius loci

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
The Old Man was not alone. In CT there is Giant's Thumb. Rainier has on old man looking east at Ingraham. What other examples of "the spirit of the place " have you seen?

There are at least 2 examples along the way to Balsam Lake Mountain. Katahdin has the skull feature as seen from the Abol Bridge Parking lot.

I can think of two. My favorite is the " Angel of Shavano" in CO ( Mt. Shavano- Sawatch Range) and the cross on, Mt.of the Holy Cross, also in CO in the same range.

From our family camp in Hancock ME, we look across part of Frenchman Bay to Acadia. At our angle we see a " face "on the eastern shoulder of Parkman Mtn gazing up at the clouds. Some local lore ( by no means unanimous) calls it the face of Glooskap.

Breeze

1) After driving into Grand Teton National Park from the south, you can see the Alien Baby in the hillside on the right. It's easy to miss because chances are your head is facing to the left gawking at the Teton range.

2) Angel Glacier in Jasper National Park

To get a sense of scale, note the people on the far side of the lake

IMG_1742-L.jpg

IMG_1746-L.jpg

The genius loci of my favorite local stomping grounds is named Hobbomock, aka Sleeping Giant. Evidently a spell was placed on the gluttonous demigod Hobbomock in ancient times, and we've had a great time hiking all over him since.

http://www.damnedct.com/sleeping-giant-hamden/

A photo ca. late 19th or early 20th C that I got at auction yrs ago:

image-470451785.jpg

This was taken before quarrying began on his head.

Attachments

• image-2731119733.jpg
    image-2731119733.jpg
    85.1 KB
Last edited: