Get any good new hiking gear from Kris Kringle?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
I'm very happy to have found a new pair of NorthFace Ventura rain pants under the tree. I have had an 8 inch strip of duct tape across the seat of my old ones for a year from buttsliding adventures.

And I can replace two pairs of old socks and liners with my new Wigwam liners and Thorlo hiking socks (my personal favorite for comfort).

I also got a copy of Mountains of the World by Bueler (1970), not so much for the actual book but because it was at a yard sale. Regarding Mount Washington, it claims, "perhaps the greatest death toll of any mountain in the United States - over 50 people, many of whom were inexperienced hikers unprepared for violent changes in the weather."

I got these a few weeks ago as a pre xmas present http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herters-Waterproof-Insulated-Snow-Bibs/1626880.uts I added them for general work outside in winter for about 20 to 0 degrees.I have been very happy with them,especially how well they shed medium snow and light drizzle.As always with most pants or bibs they seem to work better with gaiters.With some extra liners they should be ok as a insulated shell for winter camping down to about minus 20[one base layer,a down type pant and insulated shell].However they might be to bulky and cumbersome for day winter hiking.

I got these a few weeks ago as a pre xmas present http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herters-Waterproof-Insulated-Snow-Bibs/1626880.uts I added them for general work outside in winter for about 20 to 0 degrees.I have been very happy with them,especially how well they shed medium snow and light drizzle.As always with most pants or bibs they seem to work better with gaiters.With some extra liners they should be ok as a insulated shell for winter camping down to about minus 20[one base layer,a down type pant and insulated shell].However they might be to bulky and cumbersome for day winter hiking.

Very nice. You could use those for winter camouflage too! I like my bib as well but also find it hot for hiking unless temps are quite cold. The rain pants I was talking about in the first post are what I wear in winter over midweight Bergelenes. This works well for my temperature regulation...not too hot, not cold....as long as I'm generally active.