Glacier Natl Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
[long time no post!]
Hello--

I'm trying to plan a trip out West this summer & was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good sources of info for hikes around Glacier Natl Park or places in general between there & Spokane.

I'm a day hiker, not a backpacker, interested in plants & plant communities, but I suppose I won't be able to ignore the scenery...

Oh, I will be watching this thread with interest. I have talked to some friends about possibly heading out west next year for a trip. Glacier is my first choice, but lack of formal campgrounds may force those with non-backpacking family members to someplace like Rocky Mountain National Park. However, after reading the "Hey Ranger" books I am very very interested in getting to Glacier NP some day!

Brian

Doug's suggestion is a good starting place.

It's a beautiful park - "jewell of the continent". Do study up on bears, however. Depending upon the time of year, good chance of seeing griz - hopefully from a long way off.

This is the book I used as reference to our trip to Glacier in '04 and I'd recommend it. Very accurate trail descriptions.

Our highlights: First day we arrived late and took a quick 4 mile hike to Lake Avalanche, which gives you a great feel for the park. Longer hikes included walks to Lake Cobalt (11 mi r/t, ~ 1500'), Piegan Pass (10 mi, ~ 1750'), and Grinnell Glacier. I'd recommend all of these hikes, although I'm sure there isn't a bad walk in the whole park.

We also spent a day fishing and rafting on a self guided tour down the east branch of the Flathead River, and another day just touring in the rent-a-wreck. We took a drive up to the Canadien border, thru a town called Polebridge, home to the least friendly people I've ever met. You drive thru the town (don't blink!) and there are signs hammered up on the trees simply stating "NO". Funny as hell.

Was surprised to see NO wildlife during our week there, but they say there's bear in those woods. Can't recommend a good restaurant (you'd think you could get a good steak in Montana, right?) or hotel, but do seek out Great Northern Wild Huckleberry Wheat Beer.

Hurry up and get there! The "glaciers" must be the size of ice cubes by now.

bob

Last edited: