GMA Hikes To Summit of Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't that a mining tool?

They do get points for self-deprecation:
"We are dorks. You have no idea." :)

It just aired this morning. Kind of cool. My wife and her friend are big fans of Ginger Zee, who was on the hike. Have to admit that her stock rose with me after doing that.

Did they do the Lions Head route? They said they did 5 miles and over 4,000 s.f. elevation. Never went that way in winter.

Marty

So, did they hike down so it counts as a summit or did they ride in the snow cat down? Just curious

As mentioned already, they took the snowcat down. I happen to be at my fathers for the Lunar new year and saw this sunday morning..

Looked like a nice day for the hike!

Jay

"and for the really rich, you can charter their snowcat". Darn. The fun of winter is everyone up there hiked up. Looks like that too shall change. I dont look forward to the day when I hike to the top to wait in line for a phota in Winter.
Sorry for the negativity.

"and for the really rich, you can charter their snowcat". Darn. The fun of winter is everyone up there hiked up. Looks like that too shall change. I dont look forward to the day when I hike to the top to wait in line for a phota in Winter.

Well, I bet GMA flipped the bill for the snowcat, after all it was for GMA!

jay

I have been upon on the summit in late winter/early spring when an OBS showcat made a day trip to the summit for folks willing to pay. This was outside of a crew rotation or edutrip.

Even without a special trip that I have seen a line at the summit if its nice day in winter.

I havent heard it lately but some prior staff used to object to having to run the "Mt Washington B&B" particularly the one toilet and the water conservation approaches needed. Unfortunately the OBS has been in financial troubles for many years and any publicity they can get helps them scrape up enough money to survive another year. The new director is really pushing the spot as an extreme weather test site in hopes are getting more revenue. At least they arent hatching chickens on the deck of late. (Paradigm window ad from a few years back)

Could be worse. There was a proposal at one point for a Heli Ski operation. Which was squelched by the USFS.

I havent heard it lately but some prior staff used to object to having to run the "Mt Washington B&B" particularly the one toilet and the water conservation approaches needed. Unfortunately the OBS has been in financial troubles for many years and any publicity they can get helps them scrape up enough money to survive another year. The new director is really pushing the spot as an extreme weather test site in hopes are getting more revenue. At least they arent hatching chickens on the deck of late. (Paradigm window ad from a few years back)

I think the new director should be pushing building a full time mountain hut on the summit with bunks, hot showers and meals similar to what they have in Europe. It can certainly be sold that it's part of its education program. In winter, they can have the snowcat take people up.

Love to see some of those massively overweight newswomen on NYC stations make that trip. Or maybe not.