Go for 4 on Sunday - 7/8/2007 ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Sunday is my hiking day this week. That’s ok because it currently looks like the better weather day for the weekend.

The views from South Twin are a great reward! The views from Garfield are just as good. South Twin in the morning and Garfield in the afternoon – what’s not to like about that idea?

Is anybody interested in going for four on Sunday?

I’m thinking about a hike of North Twin, South Twin, Galehead, and Garfield. Two vehicles are needed. With an early start this hike can be completed by late afternoon. We’ll head out on the N. Twin Trail and finish on the Garfield Trail, and hit the North Twin Spur, Twinway, Frost Trail, and Garfield Ridge Trail along the way.

We should be at the Galehead Hut around lunch time. We can re-supply water there and at the Garfield Ridge Campsite (if needed).

The raw numbers: 15.5 miles, 4,950 feet, and 10hr. 20min book time.

If you’re interested in hiking this area but want to take a smaller bite, we can adjust this to a three peak (N&S Twin, Galehead) or two peak (Galehead & Garfield). The two peak version can be done with no car spot but a 1.6 mile road walk at the start or end.

I hike at a moderate speed typically averaging book time. Early start in this case means 7:00am – 7:30am.

If this hike interests you please respond to this thread or by PM. We can then work out the car spot plan and other details.

Earl

:)

earl, i may be interested in joining in on this one. you made the right choice by not coming on the traverse attempt. it twas lovely weather.

farmer

marchowes said:
I have possible interest in tagging some of the lesser Garfield peaks along the way ;)

I think I know the peaks you're interested in. With your speed you can probably whack those out and be back in line before we noticed you were gone. :D

FARMER said:
earl, i may be interested in joining in on this one. you made the right choice by not coming on the traverse attempt. it twas lovely weather.

farmer

Speaking of weather, the area forecast for Sunday has taken a hit. The forecasted conditions are still acceptable with under 30% chance of precipitation throughout the day.

For those that have sent a PM and asked.....

I'm still planning to do the hike. If conditions deteriorate there is shelter at the Galehead Hut, there is a bail-out on the Gale River Trail, and if we reach the Garfield Trail and are not comfortable with hitting the summit we'll turn right and head down.

Earl

The forecast has been heading down all day. It's currently past 60% probability of precipitation for the day. Since I have already experienced both the Twins and Garfield when they were socked in with clouds multiple times and don't really need to do it again, I have decided to cancel my plans for this hike, this weekend.

I plan to re-post the hike in the near future.

Earl