goggle recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
I did a little search on the forums here but wasn't able to get to too many specifics.

I'm looking for recommendations for goggles for use on above-treeline hikes in blowy conditions.

Are there certain brands that run narrower? Or have women's (smaller) sizes?

Do you all wear ski goggles or do you go for hiking/climbing-specialized goggles?

Thanks in advance!

Ski goggles are fine. Look for the ones that fit you best. Pat and I each have a pair of old goggles that have a little battery powered fan that has often been valuable for keeping them defogged.

I like the rose-colored ones that seem to give an extra bit of definition to the snow.

rose-colored glasses

Thanks for the fast response Audrey. An added benefit of rose colored glasses--maybe they make everything seem a bit....cheerier and optimistic? ; )

I usually carry a pair of prescription sunglasses and a pair of regular goggles. If the weather is good up top I will wear the sunglasses, which are curved so my eyes do not tear. I also wear these when I ski. If the wind is blowing and I’m wearing a balaclava, I will wear the ski goggles. The down side is the goggles are not prescription so everything is out of focus. I can still hike; the vista just isn’t as sharp. Just try on several pairs of goggles at a local ski shop or sports outlet and see what fits the best.

Audrey's comment notwithstanding ... if you wear glasses, you might consider getting goggles with clear lenses, and wear your sunglasses when it's bright. That way, if you're coming off the mountain when it's dark/getting dark, or in low-light situations, you have the most light available coming thru the lense.

Various colors change contrast. Some like amber for skiing as it increases contrast, but keep in mind that when hiking you're not traveling as fast as a skier - or at least some of us aren't.

Clear lenses can be a bit hard to find. Cabela's carry them, as do snowmobile shops (many snowmobilers use their sleds at night).

If you require glasses, make sure your goggles fit over them. Not all do...

This now means that you have 3 foggable surfaces. With care, it can be done successfully. (FWIW, the glasses alone offer some protection which reduces my need to use the goggles.)

Doug