Goose Eye Ridge Sat 9/3/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Below is a link to a picture I took in August 2001 from the main (west) summit of Goose Eye, looking toward the north and east.

I have wanted to hike this ridge for a number of years and would really like to do it this year. Pending good weather, I will be doing it with some friends on Saturday morning. (As this has a lot of areas exposed to the weather, the hike will be canceled if there is a risk of thunderstorms -- rain dates either Mon 9/5/05 or Sat 9/10/05 depending on people's availability, hopefully unnecessary as it's going to be good weather, right?)

Plan is to go up the Notch Trail (but not into Mahoosuc Notch), to the AT, and over the Goose Eye ridge, including the south peak of Fulling Mill Mountain, and the three peaks of Goose Eye. Down the Goose Eye Trail to Success Pond Rd. I had figured this as 9.5mi, 3000ft el gain. There are some interesting botanical features here which I can point out; I've already got pictures of all the plant species I expect to see, though, so the only thing that would cause a slowdown would be general enjoyment of the scenery, and of course the blueberries if there are any left.

This hike requires a car spot on Success Pond Rd.

Company welcome, advice welcome also (e.g. anything special about finding the Notch Trail trailhead? would the other direction of traverse be easier?)

arghman said:
Below is a link to a picture I took in August 2001 from the main (west) summit of Goose Eye, looking toward the north and east.

I have wanted to hike this ridge for a number of years and would really like to do it this year. Pending good weather, I will be doing it with some friends on Saturday morning. (As this has a lot of areas exposed to the weather, the hike will be canceled if there is a risk of thunderstorms -- rain dates either Mon 9/5/05 or Sat 9/10/05 depending on people's availability, hopefully unnecessary as it's going to be good weather, right?)

Plan is to go up the Notch Trail (but not into Mahoosuc Notch), to the AT, and over the Goose Eye ridge, including the south peak of Fulling Mill Mountain, and the three peaks of Goose Eye. Down the Goose Eye Trail to Success Pond Rd. I had figured this as 9.5mi, 3000ft el gain. There are some interesting botanical features here which I can point out; I've already got pictures of all the plant species I expect to see, though, so the only thing that would cause a slowdown would be general enjoyment of the scenery, and of course the blueberries if there are any left.

This hike requires a car spot on Success Pond Rd.

Company welcome, advice welcome also (e.g. anything special about finding the Notch Trail trailhead? would the other direction of traverse be easier?)

We did this trip several years ago, but in reverse. We included a "stroll" into the jungle gym (notch) about a half-mile or so and out, just to get a taste of it (fun!), but stayed the night at the shelter, and went out to Success Pond Rd. We had nice weather, but it was blowing like a son-of-a-gun on top of Goose Eye, enough so that we couldn't easily stand up. The ridge was beautiful! I recall the hike down to the notch being VERY steep and hard on the knees, and thinking it would never end. Up would have been preferable for me. I don't recall any problem finding the trailhead (our ending point). The hike out to it was easy. We spotted a bear cub right on the trail, gone when we reached the spot, though we were mindful of a likely nearby mother and made lots of noise.