Gore Mountain - Sat. Nov. 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
I was going to hike Marcy & Haystack, but something has come up. The plan now is to just do a dayhike up Gore Mountain (Adirondacks). It's a "double-dipper: ADK Hundred Highest and a fire tower peak

ALGonquin Bob said:
I was going to hike Marcy & Haystack, but something has come up. The plan now is to just do a dayhike up Gore Mountain (Adirondacks). It's a "double-dipper: ADK Hundred Highest and a fire tower peak
Yeah, 2 entries in the spread sheet! :D

The tower is off limits, but there are great views just a little bit down from the summit on the slopes.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/trankin/IMG_1758.JPG

My understanding is that the trail to the tower is open until winter. Can I hike to the tower (if not actually climb it), or is that end closed? I makes a difference as to whether I do the hike.

Be very alert to ski area operations at this time of year. The ski area is right in the middle of gearing up for the season. Snow guns may be operating, and many operations crews will be traveling all over the ski area. Also, in the area immediately above the "Saddle" (the top of the triple chair), trail construction is going on. Heavy equipment may be operating, and blasting may still be underway.

The Shaefer Trail will be fine travel as far as the lookout rock and leanto area, but if you plan to continue into the ski area proper, I would take the time to drive up to the Base Lodge and check in with Management on possible travel restrictions.

TCD

Nevermind...

Looks like the Gore ski area winter preparation activities are going to restrict summit access, so I’ll hike up Pillsbury… it THAT ONE OPEN?!

Last edited:
Bob you should be fine for saturday. They are doing work, but only during the weekdays. At least that's what I saw a couple weeks ago. They have been doing some serious blasting. We hiked the road from the first lodge to the summit along the trail. But to be safe, maybe you should think about a different peak.

Well, that was kind of a useless post on my part. Please continue.

Thanks to al for the info. I hiked Wakely on Saturday and Pillsbury on Sunday. The roads were all in fine shape, even after the rain.