GPS advice please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed but I did a search of the forums and cannot find it.
Would all you knowledgeable folks please tell me which model I should purchase that would work below treeline in the Whites, Vermont, etc.
I have a Garmin etrex and it positively does not work even in my own backyard because of my very tall trees. I can get my satellites but the signals are not consistent enough to track a route.
This need not be the most costly equipment on the market but I really want something that works. I would rather pay the money and have a decent piece of equipment. Thank you.
Maddy

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have a Magellan sporttrak map and I love it. It works great under tree cover as long as you leave it running. It will track your position even if it is reading only one satilite. The key is you have to leave it running so it can always get a signal lock. If you turn it off it takes a while to reaquire the signal.

With the exception of having satellites obscured by mountains, I have never had a problem with my Magellan Meridian Platinum. In fact, it seems to receive on the top floor of my house.

A pointer: some units are designed to be held out like a TV remote (patch antenna) to get the best signal, and others are designed to be held vertically in a carrying pouch (quadrifilar/lix).

The Magellans work great when carried in a pouch and are held vertically for viewing.

When you could not receive, did you try alternating the position?

Before you consider a Lowrance, check the anticipated battery life.
(I have an older one, and although its a handheld unit, it really needs to be plugged into the cigarette lighter due to a 4 hr battery life). On the other hand, its nitrogen-charged so it will never get damaged by sweat or rain.

Maddy
I have an Garmin 60CS with an Gilsson external antenna with 9ft. cable. I never lose reception anywhere in the Whites. No matter how long or the weather. I just fish the small cable down along the shoulder strap so it doesn't catch on anything.

If you check my past posts with a search on me you'll find lot's of discussions about GPS and hiking.

Just one of the many things that unit will do with excellence..

Last edited:
Thanks to all who posted. I did find the old site using CaptCaper as suggested. The info has been very helpful.
:D :D :D