GPS software/maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Looking for western gps maps for my Garmin 60CSx. Specifically, looking for western National Parks. Every place I've searched for this product online says "discontinued" or "not available". Anybody have this software? Any idea who might carry it? Or maybe it was discontinued for a good reason, as lots of discontinued products are. Anyway, I'm looking for 24k scale maps of yellowtone, tetons, grand canyon, yosemite, etc. Any ideas appreciated.

Do you already have Topo 2008 for your Garmin 60CSx? Am quite sure it includes the NP's already, but am not expert on what it might provide over and above the 2008 software, so maybe there are features I'm not aware of.

Edit - I think I answered my own question - 24K vs. 100K, so the NP versions, would in theory, provide more detail.

Last edited:
Do you already have Topo 2008 for your Garmin 60CSx? Am quite sure it includes the NP's already, but am not expert on what it might provide over and above the 2008 software, so maybe there are features I'm not aware of.

Edit - I think I answered my own question - 24K vs. 100K, so the NP versions, would in theory, provide more detail.
I have the NP East 24K topo--it does indeed provide more detail.

The Garmin alternative for the Western parks at 24K would require buying from their state series at a significantly greater outlay.

There might be reasonable free alternative maps at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Doug

Last edited:
A DVD version appears to be available from Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=35407

http://tvnav.com appears to have it in stock.

The following search brings up a number of dealers: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=garmin+topo+national+parks+west+24k&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Perhaps some have it in stock.

Some of the comments suggest that Garmin may be switching from v2 to v3 of the product.

Doug

Doug, thank you, but look at your first link and then at my link. At first glance they look the same but they're not. Mine is western National Parks, yours is four western states (WA, OR, CA, and NV). Thanks for the tvnav link; I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Kevin, yes I want the 24k scale. I just got the GPS, so I don't have much yet.

Doug, thank you, but look at your first link and then at my link. At first glance they look the same but they're not. Mine is western National Parks, yours is four western states (WA, OR, CA, and NV).
Oops! I know what you wanted (I have the NP 24K East), I just misidentified the item on the Garmin website. Sorry for the misdirection.

Thanks for the tvnav link; I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Let us know what you find out. Darrel (the owner--its a small family business) is quite knowledgeable. Would you also ask him if there will be a future version?

Kevin, yes I want the 24k scale. I just got the GPS, so I don't have much yet.
I have Topo US 2008 (100K scale), Topo NP 24K East, and a discontinued road map. (Portions of all three are currently in the GPS.) The 100K scale maps are fine for trail hiking and ok for bushwacking in conjunction with a 24K paper map. The 100K topo, of course, has the advantage the it covers the entire country.

I only had a 100K topo GPS map on my first trips out west (2001 and 2002) with a GPS (eTrex Vista). It was very useful for (solo) road navigation (I had to put the next day's navigation in the GPS every evening). I hiked on trails, so while it was nice to have, it wasn't really needed for hiking that I did.

Doug

Last edited:
...Let us know what you find out. Darrel (the owner--its a small family business) is quite knowledgeable. Would you also ask him if there will be a future version?...Doug

I sent an email to them, and Darrel replied promptly:

Q: Do you carry 24k NP West map for Garmin GPS?
A: Yes, but it's sold out.

Q: Is it discontinued? If so, do you know why?
A: Yes, it's discontinued. Don't know why.

Q: Have you heard anything about a future version?
A: No, haven't heard anything.

Next step, I guess I'll send an email to Garmin.

I saw 24K National Parks, West V3 on Garmin's website, but I did not follow-up or check anywhere else to see if it is available. If you cannot find a copy, I do have a copy of the 24K National Parks West V2. pm me.