Gps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Dear Knowledgeable ones:

My sister is in the market for a GPS. Her price range is between $100.00 and $150.00. She is a moderate hiker and wants the GPS for added safety. Any thoughts?

In that price range I would recommend a Garmin eTrex Legend. It provides the basic GPS functionality, plus it also accepts downloads of topo maps (from Garmin's topo software) which will display most of the trails in the area as well as most natural features such as rivers, streams, and mountains.

Check out gpsdiscount.com for descriptions of various models. For a small, lightweight, economical solution check out the Geko series. For basic safety features, they allow you to mark a spot, return to that spot. They quickly locate your position, so you could look on your hand held map and tell you if you have gone too far or not far enough, etc. You can enter and label many waypoints. In other words, for basic safety uses of a gps, one does not need the higher end models that download maps.

If safety is a main reason for getting the gps think about getting her a RINO so would-be rescuers can establish radio contact and be given a position fix. (Provided that the hiker is conscious that is.)

Neil said:
If safety is a main reason for getting the gps think about getting her a RINO so would-be rescuers can establish radio contact and be given a position fix. (Provided that the hiker is conscious that is.)
This only works if the rescuers/your partners know you have a Rino and also have one themselves. (A Garmin Rhino is a GPS integrated with an FRS radio.) Rhino models appear to be in the $150-500 range.

Note: all named GPSes in this note are Garmin models, because I happen to know that line better that the others. Magellan is the other major line. (I have no connection with either company.)

A basic GPS (eg the "basic" (yellow) Garmin eTrex, ~$100) is reasonably inexpensive. It basically gives you a location as latitude and longitude (or equivalent). It will accept waypoints (location markers) and routes. It will not accept maps. To use a basic model, you have to read out your location coordinates and locate them on a paper map or look to see where you are relative your pre-programmed waypoints.

Managing the waypoints and routes is much easier if done by computer. The software typically costs about $100. examples: Garmin Mapsource Topo, National Geographic TOPO!

The next step up is a mapping GPS. This is the basic GPS plus internal mapping capability--your location is shown on a map of the area. In many situations, this is much easier to use than a basic model because you can just look to see where you are. However, the map memory on most units is limited and you need to have the proper map segment loaded into the GPS. Maps can only be loaded into a GPS from the manufacturer's software.

The Garmin eTrex Legend may be the least expensive mapping GPS at ~$150. (Don't forget the $100 for software and maps.) But it only has 8MB of mapping memory, which many find to be too small (depends on your use, how much area you want to load, which maps, etc). The next step up in memory is the 24MB Vista (~$235). (I used a Vista for several years and found it (with Garmin Mapsource US Topo) to be adequate for my NE hiking needs/wants.) Mapping units go up to ~$500--more memory, color displays etc.

http://TVNAV.com is a knowledgable Garmin dealer. A small family business. Good reputation. They have a history of helping people choose GPS units. Many other places, including REI and EMS carry Garmin and Magellan GPSes, but the salesmen frequently are not as knowledgable as a specialty dealer such as TVNAV.

Lots of info on GPSes, including guidance for choosing a unit and a list of dealers can be found at http://www.gpsinformation.net/.

I'd also like to add that if you are contemplating buying a GPS as a gift, you might want to involve the recipient in the process of choosing a unit. They are complicated little beasts and you are more likely to choose an appropriate unit with the recipient's help.

Doug

Not being all that concerned about larger memory and color, I got a great deal on an older Magellan Sportrack GPS with all sorts of goodies (mounting bracket, DC adaptor, data cable and mapping software) at about 40% of the base cost of the latest model.

More often than not, I just turn it on sporadically to get elevation readings, and to leave a few 'digital breadcrumbs' should I wander off trail.

I'm not sure if the newer ones have better power management, but neither my Magellan, or my old Garmin seemed to last a full days hike on one set of batteries.

Aside from the usual sporting good stores - occasionally I've seen good deals on older models at Radio Shack (including a recent Garmin eTrex sighting in Beverly, MA). If you've got one nearby, it might be worth ducking in and asking at the counter, they can always check other stores inventories.

DougPaul said:
This only works if the rescuers/your partners know you have a Rino and also have one themselves. (A Garmin Rhino is a GPS integrated with an FRS radio.) Rhino models appear to be in the $150-500 range.
The RINO's radio works with any other radio. In communicating with a non-RINO radio one would have to verbally transmit one's coordinates. Before leaving on a trip I make sure my wife has my proposed route and indicate which radio channel I plan on leaving open. In phoning the DEC (in the ADK's) she could offer to e-mail a jpeg of my proposed route and inform them that I am radio-equipped on channel x.

McRat said:
I'm not sure if the newer ones have better power management, but neither my Magellan, or my old Garmin seemed to last a full days hike on one set of batteries.
Don't know about Magellan, but the newer Garmins use significantly less power. It is very easy to get a full day out of them.

Garmin vista (normal config): 130 mA
Garmin 60CS (normal config): 70 mA

You can get weeks out of most hand-held GPSes by leaving them off most of the time and only occasionally turning them on to get quick location check.

Doug

Neil said:
The RINO's radio works with any other radio. In communicating with a non-RINO radio one would have to verbally transmit one's coordinates. Before leaving on a trip I make sure my wife has my proposed route and indicate which radio channel I plan on leaving open. In phoning the DEC (in the ADK's) she could offer to e-mail a jpeg of my proposed route and inform them that I am radio-equipped on channel x.
The special feature of the Rino is the integration of the GPS and the FRS radio. (It automatically transmits its location when transmitting to any other Rhino within range.)

Otherwise, it is just an FRS radio (useful only if there is another FRS radio within range) in the same box as a GPS (useful for the same things that any other GPS is useful for.)

There are standards for avalanche beacons. Any brand of will interoperate with any other brand. And avalanche beacons are widely carried by those who spend much time in avalanche terrain. So when you need someone else to have one, there is a reasonable chance that there will be one nearby. The protocols used by the Rino are company specific, AFAIK, no one else makes a Rino compatible unit. And, while I haven't seen any sales figures, I would not expect anyone else to just happen by with one. (If you bring two or more in your group, then the special features of the Rino could be useful.)

They could certainly be useful for SAR groups, but I have no idea if SAR groups have indeed adpoted them. The very limited FRS radio range in mountainous and vegetated terrain might make them more trouble than they are worth.

I have heard that 2M Ham radios are used by some SAR groups. Much greater range and they have the capibiltiy of being used with repeaters to further extend the range. They have also been integrated with GPS. See APRS: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=APRS&btnG=Google+Search

In summary, while I'm sure Rinos are useful in some contexts, IMO they are most likely a poor choice for the OP.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Managing the waypoints and routes is much easier if done by computer. The software typically costs about $100. examples: Garmin Mapsource Topo, National Geographic TOPO!
There are some free options for managing routes and waypoints via your computer. I bought National Geographic TOPO, but I also got a copy of GPS Trackmaker which is free. You have to add your own maps to TrackMaker, but it's not too hard. If all you use it for is transferring waypoints from your computer to your GPS, it's still much easier than entering waypoint info directly into your GPS.

DougPaul said:
They could certainly be useful for SAR groups, but I have no idea if SAR groups have indeed adpoted them. The very limited FRS radio range in mountainous and vegetated terrain might make them more trouble than they are worth.

I have heard that 2M Ham radios are used by some SAR groups. Much greater range and they have the capibiltiy of being used with repeaters to further extend the range

In summary, while I'm sure Rinos are useful in some contexts, IMO they are most likely a poor choice for the OP. Doug
In NYS at least, SAR groups do not operate independently of DEC and state police. On any search I have been on, a DEC and/or state police officer is the incident commander and maintains contact with crews in the field with their own radio system. If the staging area is physically remote from the search area, then a command post and radio communication relay station will be set up close to the search zone. Some SAR squads will have their own 2m gear, and may also set up their own relay site. Generally this integration with the authorities in charge is helpful and professionally done. But you are right about FRS radios. Individual volunteer searchers bringing them along may add to confusion, possibly thwart official coordination, and be less than useful. The authorities do not monitor FRS frequencies.

Last edited:
Mark said:
There are some free options for managing routes and waypoints via your computer. I bought National Geographic TOPO, but I also got a copy of GPS Trackmaker which is free. You have to add your own maps to TrackMaker, but it's not too hard. If all you use it for is transferring waypoints from your computer to your GPS, it's still much easier than entering waypoint info directly into your GPS.
Yes, there are a number of alternative programs for managing waypoints, routes, and tracks, some of them free. However, only the manufacturer's programs will load maps onto a GPS. (Actually there is free software to make and load your own maps too, but it is far too complicated for beginners.)

I mentioned only the commercial software because it is generally easier for a beginner to use. All the parts are there and the software is supported--getting and aligning the desired maps can be difficult and/or time consuming.

Doug