grace day cancellation!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
My dog tore her ligament this mouring and is scheduled for a thursday operation. The 2 weeks after that she will have to wear the collor and be under strict supervision. That means I cannot do panther on grace day. I have built myself up all summer for the next 3 weeks. My plan was to vacation this week from wednesday on to do 3 peaks (there goes my vacation and my $100 deposite on my vacation place). I was going to do santanoni and panther on grace day, and finish up my 46th on my 50th birthday. Your 50th only comes once (So much for the plans of mice and men). Good thing I love that dog so much! Someone has to step up and take it over for me. I hate breaking commitments but Bailey had other plans. There is no way I can leave her over the next 3 months so I am done for the year :(
good luck and I will be thinking of you guys on the 26th. I will look forward to the trip reports and pictures but will view them with a heavy heart

I'll fill in for you, I went to times square 5 times in a two month span once and only did Panther once. What idiot would climb to the square and turn around just for exercise then go to the Dix's to meet a friend and hike them just because the friend wasn't getting there till 11am? I figure I might OWE it some how. And what sane person likes that trail? In '04 it rained so much every trail was a black mud bath so I guess I figured it didn't matter. :)

ColdRiverRun said:
I'll fill in for you, I went to times square 5 times in a two month span once and only did Panther once. What idiot would climb to the square and turn around just for exercise then go to the Dix's to meet a friend and hike them just because the friend wasn't getting there till 11am? I figure I might OWE it some how. And what sane person likes that trail? In '04 it rained so much every trail was a black mud bath so I guess I figured it didn't matter. :)

Somehow I missed this response and filled Panther but I have another option for you?

With this in mind I present the latest hiccup in the mix.
The first person to sign up for a peak when this whole thing started graciously took what some would call a "less desirable" peak in Emmons. This person was Timmus. Timmus is now in the bind of having her small children the weekend of this event and feels Emmons might be too much of a hike with kids. What she and I are looking for is someone willing to exchange an "easier" hike for Emmons. Most of us know what those "easier" peaks would be but if you are not sure please contact Timmus by PM to discuss. Any questions can be directed to either she or I. I'm confident this great group of flexible people will be able to help us smooth over this latest bump in the road. Thanks in advance.

Somehow I missed this response and filled Panther but I have another option for you?
I'm not sure that I'm getting you clearly, you start with I have another option for you, stating Panther is filled then ask for someone to switch with Timmus. Are you saying you bumped Timmus to Panther since it was a little easier and want me to take Emmons? I have no problem with that, I have history with Emmons too, somehow a bushwhack hike up the backside turned into a 30 mile adventure. :eek:

You probably missed it for the same reason I couldn't figure out why I didn't see my response later, it is posted on the ADK forum and the trips and events page. If the mods could fix that please...? :)

ColdRiverRun said:
I'm not sure that I'm getting you clearly, you start with I have another option for you, stating Panther is filled then ask for someone to switch with Timmus. Are you saying you bumped Timmus to Panther since it was a little easier and want me to take Emmons? I have no problem with that, I have history with Emmons too, somehow a bushwhack hike up the backside turned into a 30 mile adventure. :eek:

You probably missed it for the same reason I couldn't figure out why I didn't see my response later, it is posted on the ADK forum and the trips and events page. If the mods could fix that please...? :)

Ok, I'll clarify. After the original posting of the Panther cancellation someone emailed me to volunteer for that peak. This morning I saw your post that you would take Panther while trying to get the word out regarding the dilemma that Timmus is in. So Panther is covered. Maybe you could take Emmons and that would free Timmus to join another group with her girls? Or Timmus and girls could cover another easier peak should it be necessary?

ColdRiverRun said:
Ok, then I'll cover Emmons for her. :)

THANK YOU !!! :) :)
It takes a lot of pressure of my shoulders, since I was the first to sign in with Emmons.

BlackSpruce said:
!!!!: "Timmus is now in the bind of having her small children the weekend of this event "

An "easier" mountain for a couple of very small children first High Peak? I am sure that Grace will not mind if that family climbs a much smaller mountain in her honor August 26th...

Cascade would definitely be a good one (Prino, do you mind company ?), but this is also a good idea. Do you know which small mountain Grace affectionated particularly ??

I have Hurricane or Noonmark in mind. My daughters last hike was Poke-O-Moonshine, took us a little bit more than 6 hours. Difficult footing combine with heat slowed Lorenna down (4 yo). They did Mt Jo two times already.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks ColdRiverRun. Please PM me an email address and I will add you to the mailing list. Thanks Timmus for giving enough notice so we could cover Emmons.

ColdRiverRun said:
Ok, then I'll cover Emmons for her. :)

Way to go!

In case you have not been following the Grace thread, there is a group of us camping at Whispering Pines August 25th-27th in Lake Placid. After our hike on the 26th we will be congregating at the Lake Placid Brew Pub. Most people will come in and have dinner then venture downstairs to the bar where we can share war stories :D

Thanks again,
Adam

timmus said:
THANK YOU !!! :) :)
It takes a lot of pressure of my shoulders, since I was the first to sign in with Emmons.

Cascade would definitely be a good one (Prino, do you mind company ?), but this is also a good idea. Do you know which small mountain Grace affectionated particularly ??

I have Hurricane or Noonmark in mind. My daughters last hike was Poke-O-Moonshine, took us a little bit more than 6 hours. Difficult footing combine with heat slowed Lorenna down (4 yo). They did Mt Jo two times already.

Any other ideas ?

I have unfortunately had to pull out of the hike and have passed the official Cascade climbing badge to Julie and her daughters.
Sorry I'll miss the hike and celebrations but this peak is now in safe hands (or should I say legs) :D