Graham & Balsam Lake Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
looking at doing these two on Sunday. In reading my guide (the ADK Guide for Catskills) it mentions that you should ask for permission to hike Graham from the property owner.

Is this still the case & how does one track the property owner down? From what I read, graham appears to be straightforward for being unmarked, an old road for most, if not all the way.

Thanks

From the search function:

Mark Schaefer said:
William J Scholl, Dry Brk Rd, Arkville, NY 12406, 845-586-4056.

Anyway, graham is somewhat a road walk, don't be surprised that the road goes down before going up! Another way to do Graham is from Seager (at the end of dry brook road) but usually not with BLM. There is usually a good established road which was used to access the relay tower at the summit and it does switchback in one spot but it's fairly easy to follow once you find it from the trail to BLM....

Jay

Permission for Graham may be obtained from William J. Scholl, the caretaker. His phone number is 845-586-4056. (His number is often published in the Catskill Cannister so it should be OK to post it here.)

Edit - Jay beat me to it.

One other note - I recall when Tuco and I climbed Graham after BLM, we actually lost the old "road" once or twice, just before the steeper section. There was a lot of blowdown, easy enough to get around, but not always so easy to find the old road again. And as Jay says, the road does lose elevation before regaining it.

Last edited:
Permission for Graham may be obtained from William J. Scholl, the caretaker. His phone number is 845-586-4056. (His number is often published in the Catskill Cannister so it should be OK to post it here.)

Edit - Jay beat me to it.

One other note - I recall when Tuco and I climbed Graham after BLM, we actually lost the old "road" once or twice, just before the steeper section. There was a lot of blowdown, easy enough to get around, but not always so easy to find the old road again. And as Jay says, the road does lose elevation before regaining it.
This has come up recently on several boards.

Just so it's easier to search, here are a bunch of keywords:

The caretaker's name for Graham and Doubletop is Bill Scholl, 845-586-4056.

He works for Furlow Properties, Arkville, NY

It is the land of Kingdon Gould, the heir of the Gould railroad fortune.