Great Gulf Redlining, Sunday, July 24, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Trails: Great Gulf Trail, Madison Gulf Trail, Star Lake Trail, Buttress Trail

Great Gulf Trail to Madison Gulf Trail
: clear of blowdown. Some new stones steps in between the Parking Area and the Wilderness Boundary.

Madison Gulf Trail to Star Lake Trail
: a couple of easily stepped over blowdown. Water Crossings rock hoppable but trail crossings are tough to spot. Headwall dry and STEEP. IMHO this is not a dog friendly trail.

Star Lake Trail to New Madison Superhut
: a short diversion to top off our water and see the hut -- its really nice. :)

Buttress Trail
: In good shape until it reaches the scrub below the first boulder field, then very grown along the scrub for about 1/2 mile. We found it a bit sketchy in the campsite area near the end of the trail and it was tricky to see where the trail actually went until we saw some rotted bog bridges heading toward the river. Much gentler than the Madison Gulf Trail with just a few steep ledges here and there but scree fields and large boulder fields may be very tough on dogs.

At this point our plan was to head up Six Husbands and down Sphinx, both being dogless today we had planned to hit all the hard stuff together, but it began to look like we'd be getting out about 7:30 pm -- fine for me on a Saturday but not on a work night -- so with my nearly four hour drive ahead of me, I bid farewell and good luck to my good friend Eric and continued to the Great Gulf Jct wrapping up my 8 hour hiking day at 4:00 pm -- meanwhile, Eric continued onward to finish his final redline in the Great Gulf, just the Sphinx Trail was left for him--way to go my friend. Glad to have been a part of your final day of redlining this area:p

Great Gulf Trail from Six Husbands Junction to Rt 16 Parking Area
: rugged footing in places but easy to follow -- water crossings not an issue right now and all junctions are clearly signed.

Great day in the woods! With the little side trips to all the campsites and the hut, this little adventure comes in at just about 14 miles. If you are looking for a steep, remote feeling, rock scrambling adventure, check out the Madison Gulf Trail on a dry day. The trip down the Buttress has super views towards the Carters, Washington, and the Great Gulf Headwall. I read on the Kiosk that much of the Great Gulf has never been logged. Way back in by the Six Husbands Area it definately feels that way. An Enchanted Forest.

Last edited: