Gregory Z Pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
I have a Gregory Z Pack that I picked up at close-out last winter. I've used it about 4 times now that winter and spring have gone by and have an unusual problem: About every 20 minutes I have to tighten up on the shoulder straps. When the pack is off, I have tried tugging at the webbing, but nothing moves. Does this make sense? The manufacturer has told me that the pack probably doesn't fit me because it is a man's model. Does that make sense? The salesman when I bought helped me load weight in it and we agreed that the sizing (size small) seemed right.

Also, the top-loading zipper has two zips and one of them is difficult to move. I thought maybe some dirt had gotten into it and so I washed it, but that hasn't made a difference. Perhaps I just didn't notice that flaw before?

Anyone else have problems like these, and if so what have you done?

I have a man's model backpack (an old Dana Designs) and have a problem with the shoulder straps slipping right off my shoulders unless I overtighten the sternum strap, which is most uncomfortable. I do think that anatomical differences can cause a problem like this. Are you saying that the straps are loosening up and you have to keep recinching them, which just sounds like a buckle problem?

Did you try some silicone on the zipper? I've also heard of various other solutions like Chapstick, dishwashing liquid, candlewax (not melted), etc.

Postscript edit: I bought a man's Z55 last year and it fits great.

I have one of the Z series for a daypack, and don't have that problem. I like it very much. Doesn't seem to slip.

I'd take the comment re: a man's pack with a grain of salt. The torso length and a few other cuts can be different, but if a pack fits - it fits.

If you don't need to adjust the shoulder straps, you can work the strap "over and back" on the top. That will lock it in place. Takes a bit of finagling with no tension on the strap, but it should hold it in place as once under load it will be pulling against itself.

Have used Audrey's suggestions re: sticky zippers. Sometimes they stick when they're new. If it still does it overtime, bring it back. Doesn't matter that you got it on closeout. Closeout doesn't mean defective.

I went in to the Manchester EMS last night after work to brain storm with my friends who work there. It seems that the webbing is a little thin for the plastic piece. While you can't pull it to make it slip, if there is any leeway, it will feed through. So if I've got the waist belt tight enough that the shoulder straps are pressing down hard on my shoulders, and I'm walking along, leaping from rock-to-rock :p the slippage takes place.

My temporary solution is to try some friction tape in the space of the plastic piece. My next solution may be to cut the original webbing attach a length of proper thickness.

I'm going to try the zipper ideas... Thanks.