Greylock south to north on 4/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
Along with Dugan 2-Legs, Jade and her wondermutt Carmen, and Lattinhill and his dog Maya (and another friend of his), I'm planning a hike across Mt Greylock this coming Sunday. The route I've picked is as follows: do a carspot at the parking area by the gate at the intersection of Notch Rd and Reservoir Rd, and then head south to the parking lot at the Visitors Center on Quarry Rd. Take the Brook and Berry Tr to the Northrup Tr. Then the Jones Nose Tr up to the Saddle Ball Mtn ridge where we'll take the AT up to the summit and head back down to the car via the Bernard Farm Tr. I believe it's about 15 miles total, with about 2200' of elevation.

Anyone interested in joining us can post here and/or pm me for more details.

I'll vouch for Maya, a great hiker, I'm not too sure about Dave though. ;)
Just kidding, Dave's a good hiker too, just not as good looking as Maya. :D
If we weren't doing "as many miles as possible" down here I'd join you all.
Sunday looks to be a great day to be out. Good luck.

Enjoy the hike!

Hey gang.. have a good time on Greylock, the lack of snow this time around should make for some quick miles. I plan to head up there in later in April and/or May to do that route, I know my hiking partner wants to give that route a try as well.

BTW, don't worry guys if you get to the end where your car spot is, Jade won't need to be shuttling me to my car this time around. That is unless you end up in CT; I'll be hiking with Chip. Keep an eye out for us from the summit of Greylock, take a look south and give us a wave... I'll wave back from Silver Hill.

So if anyone sees us, just say 'Alligator Eggs'! Oh that and give us coffee, it's going to be an early start...

Catch you all later...
Kevin

It could be a car spot hike.....a number of us have hiked before and if at all possible we pahk a cah at some midway point....if it helps you decide to join us, I for one would be happy to spot cars along the way....

...Jade

There's a small group hiking tomorrow from N to South(ish), I don't know the plan if we're doing a car spot or not. We'll leave some alligator eggs on the trails for ya!

Jade said:
...a number of us have hiked before

I would agree with Jade! :D :D ;)
Jay

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on it. I did Greylock from the AT south last year... We can all make a run for the Thunderbolt shelter!!

If you guys have the time, we swung by March Cataract falls by the Sperry Rd campsites, it was a nice diversion. A pretty tough 1/2 mile hike though. (at least according to the sign, it seemed further than that)..

Jay

ok, so like, um, what I meant to say was......some of us have hiked TOGETHER before.....

Jay if we do happen to run into you on Greylock, (we're hiking Sunday) beware.....some of us have played tricks before!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

PS I like dark chocolate alligator eggs....

Jay H said:
If you guys have the time, we swung by March Cataract falls by the Sperry Rd campsites, it was a nice diversion. A pretty tough 1/2 mile hike though. (at least according to the sign, it seemed further than that)..

Yeah, that looks like a pretty steep section over there. Might be fun tho...since the route to the summit we're taking is a pretty gradual ascent with only a little steepness around Jones Nose.

I'm thinking we could spot a vehicle in the West Mountain Rd area for a mid-hike bailout possibility.

PS- this is a leader- and gun-free hike, (non-attacking) dogs and home-baked goodies are welcome :D

Jay H said:
Yes, I've been keeping an eye on it. I did Greylock from the AT south last year... We can all make a run for the Thunderbolt shelter!!

Jay
Looks like the 4/1 crew hiked through some downpoors and a line of thunderstorms. Hopefully they weren't too exposed. Could have been a great photo opp, it got VERY dark here when the line rolled by.

Sabrina...we'll be heading up again....just watch for our posting...
....Jade

Hey Chip, friday night after listening to some NOAA weather reports, we did bail out on the intended saturday hike and simply did a short section of the LT/AT about 2 miles north of the VT/MA border to about Scrub Hill and then back. It started to get very dark at around SH and we decided to turn around. Good thing, cause 2 minutes later it started to hail and rain a bit.

We decided on Saturday to do Greylock via the Bellows Pipe trail and then a return on the AT to Notch Road.

As most of the group here knows, we had a small Mini-VFTT gathering at the summit of Graylock, we ran into Latin Hill and Pat going up the Bellows Pipe trail and then ran into Torn n Frayed at the summit and eventually Jade and the rest of the gang coming from the AT northbound later on.

Unfortunately, the memorial and Bascom Lodge is closed (I had some good ice cream from the lodge last July!).

I have pictures that will be uploaded tonight...stay tuned.

P.S. When Tmax dropped us off at the bellows pipe trail, she turned around in the parking lot before the gate and we saw a silver Subaru Forrester XT with CT plates with a sticker on it and was wondering who that was... Then we figured you guys might be doing a car spot and this was the end car cause we didn't run into many folks going up to the summit and the summit wasn't that crowded when we got there.

Jay

Last edited: