Grizzly Bear Escapes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, at least until you posted it. Read the comments, they're pretty funny. :p

Jay

I like how it was originally reported as a 700 lb bear when it weighed 350. As if some reporter decided to double it as to make a better story and really grab peoples attention while scaring the crap out of them. :eek:

ColdRiverRun said:
I like how it was originally reported as a 700 lb bear when it weighed 350. As if some reporter decided to double it as to make a better story and really grab peoples attention while scaring the crap out of them. :eek:

It weighed 350 Lbs when it escaped, and 700 Lbs when it was recaptured....Looks to me like the bear found some slow Canadians....or some average American tourists. :p :D

The police ???

Woow, these policemen's job description just took on a new twist when they got the call on their radio for grizzly rescue...

Mark Schaefer said:
I heard it on one of the news channels early this morning. It was a Syrian brown bear, initially misreported as a Grizzly.

Syrian brown bear = Ursus arctos = Grizzly Bear = Alaskan Brown Bear = European Brown Bear. (There are behavioral and size differences noted across its range, but the lumpers have prevailed over the splitters on this one, at least among the taxonomists.)

sardog1 said:
Syrian brown bear = Ursus arctos = Grizzly Bear = Alaskan Brown Bear = European Brown Bear. (There are behavioral and size differences noted across its range, but the lumpers have prevailed over the splitters on this one, at least among the taxonomists.)
They are the same species, but different subspecies. Syrian (mideastern) brown bears (Ursus arctos syriacus) are the smallest of the brown bears (Ursus arctos) and considerably smaller than Grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis). All bears can be dangerous, and if a human or domestic animal is mauled or killed by a brown bear it probably does not make much difference which subspecies did the damage.

Mark Schaefer said:
They are the same species, but different subspecies. Syrian (mideastern) brown bears (Ursus arctos syriacus) are the smallest of the brown bears (Ursus arctos) and considerably smaller than Grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis). All bears can be dangerous, and if a human or domestic animal is mauled or killed by a brown bear it probably does not make much difference which subspecies did the damage.

The taxonomists variously lump Ursus arctos into one species or split it into two subspecies, or 2-9 subspecies, and even more than fifty subspecies. Me, I like my bears lumpy. :D