Gum on sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I loaned my synthetic EMS bag out; it came back with some accidental gum/gunk on it. What would be a good method to removing it safely?

Pix here:

Picture002-3.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the help!

RW

When the kids get gum on car seats we apply ice to harden it. Then it comes off in chips or flakes. May work on a sleeping bag.

I've used Goo Gone for many similar problems. It seems to work great! You can get the stuff everywhere. It even smells OK, if you like the smell of an orange.

Here's the product page for the stuff.

Good luck.

Last edited:
EDIT CORRECTION: I mistakenly assumed the bag was down rather than synthetic in this reply. See my comments in my next post. D.

Warning: any of the high powered solvents, including those mentioned, may damage any down that they come in contact with. Down depends on its natural oils and the solvents are likely to remove them. (This is how many dry cleaners destroy down sleeping bags and garments.)

I'd try the freeze approach first and if you try one of the solvent approaches, try to shift the down away from the spot to get as little as possible on/in the down.

There is another approach: the borrower damaged the bag and therefore owes you a new one. Cleaning the old one becomes the borrower's problem.

Doug

Last edited:
Is this a down bag? The original post seems to indicate otherwise.

BIGEarl said:
Is this a down bag? The original post seems to indicate otherwise.
Oops, you are correct, he did say it was synthetic.

It is probably more tolerant of the solvents than down would be. But the solvents could end up spreading the gum along with removing some of it. And I believe there are resins or surface coatings used in some synthetic fills that could potentially be damaged.

If you use the solvents, make sure you air it out very well so you don't spend a night inhaling them.

And I would still argue that one is still within one's rights to demand that the damaged bag be replaced.

Doug

Last edited:
Here is another vote for Goo Gone. I've use it with success a number of times.

Clarke - my wife says to first try the ice to get away chunks/flakes and then use the Goo Gone. She says that is the best of both worlds!

Hope all is well my friend. Long time no see!!!!

Marty

Lighter fluid will not damage the down nor the material. After it evaporates, there is no residue.

Otherwise use white gas, it evaporates faster and will also disolve the gum leaving no residue.

Removing Gum

Since you will want to be careful of using strong solvents that may destroy the fabric I would try these first: (note: i've only used the freezing method & tape myself)
1. Freeze the area - since you prob can't fit the whole bag in your freezer (unless you have a deep freezeer) - put some freezer bags, etc on it to freeze up the area and gum. i would then use a blunt knife - no serrated edges or my finger nails to pick away.
2. i've also used good packing tape or duck tape - lay it over the gummy area and pull away - may also help pull off frozen gum.
3. i've never tried this but i've heard full strenght vinegar, heated in the microwave makes will help remove the gum vs using a solvent that may dissolve the fabric.
4. haven't tried this one either: wd-40 - spray on, then rinse with hot water. best of luck!

shadowcat said:
4. haven't tried this one either: wd-40 - spray on, then rinse with hot water. best of luck!
I'd think twice about this one--wd-40, IIRC, is silicone in a hydrocarbon solvent. The silicone will leave a greasy stain which will have to be washed out with soap.

I think a guiding principle should be "don't make it worse".

Doug

This is just a thought....

You have the bag and most likely there's a tag on it with the model number. Why not give the folks at EMS a call and get their recommendation. Nobody on this board should know the proper care of their products better than the support staff at EMS.

Their number is 1-888-463-6367.

I've heard some very good feedback concerning the quality of service they provide. I'm sure others have negative comments concerning EMS support but hope the thread doesn't take off in that direction.

They may suggest something already listed earlier. On the other hand they may have another suggestion.

:D

Thank you for all your help. I've been able to ice and scrape away most of the icky gum off at intervals. The bag looks better each time.

Thanks again,

Ridgewalker