Hancocks! - 1st Four Season Peaks - 1/21/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
On Saturday, Bob (minus Geri) and I are going to get two for the price of one! We'll be hiking the Hancocks as I go for my first peaks that I'll have climbed in all four seasons. It should be a really fun day and we'd love to have some more company to add to the fun!

In case you haven't been there since before this summer, a lot of trail work's been done and the north loop is no longer the gravel slide it used to be so, come on up and check it out!

We're planning on hitting the trail at 8am. Let me know if you're interested. :)

I'm hoping to join you, Hancocks have been on my radar.

I wonder what the stream crossings will be like. With temps in the mid 30's atop Washington today I wonder how much rain they got up there? Maybe I should rig floats to my snowshoes? :)

Hancock hike

I'm interested in joining you guys on saturday. Where will you be meeting? Any chance we'll be done by 4 or 5 pm? Please keep me in the loop with the details of the hike. Looks like the weather may be ok. I'm looking forward to the the Hancocks, having never done them in the winter.

Youngblood

youngblood said:
I'm interested in joining you guys on saturday. Where will you be meeting? Any chance we'll be done by 4 or 5 pm? Please keep me in the loop with the details of the hike. Looks like the weather may be ok. I'm looking forward to the the Hancocks, having never done them in the winter.

Youngblood

Meeting at the Hairpin turn parking lot on the Kanc - or we could car pool down together form Cannon or something other common spot (leaving from Bethlehem)

Book time is 6:15. Last March we had to break trail through 3 feet of snow and completed the hike in 7 hours.

http://rbhayes.net/hancocks.html

A couple of friends and myself just might join you guys. Our plan was a Lafayette loop but with the weather above treeline looking more than a little iffy we might try for that on Sunday instead.

I'll have to convince them on the drive down.

-Shayne

Myself and dRitter (and maybe Charly) are doing the Lafayette loop on Saturday, starting from the Old Bridal Path and coming out at Liberty Springs, from what I understand, I have never been there before.

Last edited:
Higher summits forecast tomorrow.

Tomorrow: In the clouds with mixed precipitation changing to snow. Temperatures fall in the afternoon.
Highs: Around 30 falling to upper teens °F
Wind: SW then W increasing 35 mph to 60-90 mph with higher gusts

Hmmm, Hancocks sound pretty good to me!

Jim lombard said:
Wind: SW then W increasing 35 mph to 60-90 mph with higher gusts Hmmm, Hancocks sound pretty good to me!

Yep, that's exactly what I read too. I know my buddies were very keen on Lafayette. Not sure how keen they will be when I tell them the summit will be experiencing a Category 1 hurricane.

And Sundays forecast looks awesome, -3C partly sunny and 0% POP. I'll have to check the wind forecast while we're down there.

I have a good feeling we'll be saying hello to Mr. and Mrs. Hancock tomorrow.

-Shayne

Even if your not there by 8, you can probably catch us - Youngblood is going to be carrying a pile of rocks in his pack. shhhhh - don't tell him. it's a surprise :>

Hope you guys had a good hike. I couldn't convince my buddies to abort Lafayette. It ended up being a great day above treeline. I thought for sure it was going to be a turn around.

-Shayne