Has anyone been to the Ruby Mountains in Nevada?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was browsing the Nevada DeLorme to locate Wheeler Peak and happened across this range, just 3 hours drive from Salt Lake City. Not only 12K peaks, cool weather in the dog days of summer, and home to 28 lakes, but also a 40,000 acre wildlife refuge! They're probably better known as a heli-skiing destination.

Sounds like a possibility for August...

Yes, I have Audrey. Beautiful area - in the Great Basin NP if memory serves. I think the nearest town in Elko.

Farther north than GBNP. The Rubies are great. Horsepacker heaven in summer, but don't tell anyone about the dry snow... it's a secret.

el-bagr said:
Farther north than GBNP. The Rubies are great. Horsepacker heaven in summer, but don't tell anyone about the dry snow... it's a secret.
Yes, Wheeler is in the Great Basin - I think you can see it from the visitor center, which by the way, is about the least visited Visitor Center I've seen for a NP.

My neighbor just sold some land in Silver Springs, which is in the shadow of the Rubies. Good snow, but cold in winter - way too cold for him (subzero). He told me there's a paved road to 9K' into the Rubies, so that might account for part of it's popularity with the horse crowd.