Haute Route presentation in Norwich VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
I'm going to be going to this and just thought others in the area might be interested. It costs $5 if you're a GMC member and $8 if not. The Norwich Inn brews its own beer so I will most likely go there first, have a beer and a bite to eat and then head down the road to the Montshire Museum.

Copied from GMC webpage:

Hiking the Haute Route – Chamonix to Zermatt
Jean Haigh

Friday April 7th, 7 P.M., Montshire Museum, Norwich
In the summer of 2005, Northeast Kingdom Section and GMC Board member Jean Haigh, traveled with friends and family on the famous Haute Route in Europe, unquestionably one of the most famous and spectacular mountain trips in the world. The Haute Route traverses through the heart of the Alps providing stunning scenery on every stage of the hike. This high level traverse begins at the foot of the famous Mont Blanc in Chamonix France and ends in the picturesque mountain village of Zermatt in Switzerland. Come spend and evening with Jean as she shares stories and stunning landscape scenes from her hike.
James P. Taylor Series GMC

Dick (rhihn) and I also hiked the Haute Route last summer. I would love to attend Jean's presentation but have other commitments . Ours was a remarkable experience. I took over 700 pictures which continue to be displayed as wallpaper on our computer and remind me that we MUST return to Europe for more hiking adventures. So little time ..... so many mountains!!!!

Joanne

Edelweiss,

Any pics online you are willing to share that are online???? I'm starting to think about some sort of European adventure for 2007...Haute Route looks amazing.

thanks!

Roadtripper-
Yes, I have 14 days of pictures from our trip on our Kodak Gallery website. This might be a bit much so let me organize a sampling of shots from each day of our trip. Give me a day or two.

Edelweiss said:
Dick (rhihn) and I also hiked the Haute Route last summer. I would love to attend Jean's presentation but have other commitments . Ours was a remarkable experience. I took over 700 pictures which continue to be displayed as wallpaper on our computer and remind me that we MUST return to Europe for more hiking adventures. So little time ..... so many mountains!!!!

Joanne

I'd love to see the pictures too. I've heard of two different Haute Route trips -- technical with skiing/glacier travel and a hiking route. Which one did you do? How difficult was it? My husband and I did the Tour Mont Blanc for our honeymoon and have talked about doing the Haute Route. I loved the Alps and can't wait until we go back as well.

Jen, Since I work up in this area, I'll meet you and Chip at the Inn. Let's talk next week about this.

Pudgy groundhog-

We hiked. There are a number of alternative routes one can take so one hike may be a bit different from another. Since this was our first trip to France and Switzerland in 30 years, we chose to sign up with a tour company which transported our luggage from one hotel to the next while we hiked up and down the passes with a guide and a daypack (luxury, for sure). On 3 nights we stayed in mountain cabanes which involved taking more gear, but still - no food. An amazing trip! I'll start putting together the pics today.

Edelweiss said:
We hiked. There are a number of alternative routes one can take so one hike may be a bit different from another. Since this was our first trip to France and Switzerland in 30 years, we chose to sign up with a tour company which transported our luggage from one hotel to the next while we hiked up and down the passes with a guide and a daypack (luxury, for sure). On 3 nights we stayed in mountain cabanes which involved taking more gear, but still - no food. An amazing trip! I'll start putting together the pics today.
That sounds similar to the trip we did (although we did independent). If you are looking for another trip in the Alps, I would definitely recommend the Tour Mont Blanc. We stayed in the huts and I loved having a hot meal each night (and in most cases a shower) and the lighter pack was definitely better for the hiking! Let me know when you have our pics together. In case you are interested, here's ours.

As promised, here is an abreviated version of our 2005 Walker's Haute Route adventure. If you are interested in viewing more detailed albums, please PM me. I would be happy to share.
To get a flavor of the Haute Route, consider purchasing a pocket guide by Kev Reynolds called "Chamonix-Zermatt - The Walker's Haute Route." We found it enjoyable, albeit a bit romanticized.
Enjoy!

Edelweiss

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesh...nn_speed=1&Uc=tdpb2qu.76avcyhe&Uy=42qrjh&Ux=0

Edelweiss,

Thank you for posting your pictures! They gave me goose-bumps!! I have been planning to do the mountaineers Haute Route for a couple years now, but had to cancel again recently for financial reasons.

I was lucky enough to live in Liechtenstein and Germany in my 20's and your pictures bring it all back.

Thank you!

Hanna

Hanna-
Every time I go back to those pictures I get goosebumps as well. I hope we will be able to go back again soon, but this time I would like to find some location which we would use as a "base camp" and then hike in and around that area. There are so many potential places, it's difficult to choose, but then that's half the fun!

Joanne