Have you seen the comet (Periodic Comet Holmes)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I should have posted this more than a week ago, but never got around to it.

I read about this comet in the Boston Globe on Saturday, November 3. Periodic Comet Holmes had already gone around the sun and was heading back out toward the outer part of its orbit, wherever that is, when somewhere beyond Mars it suddenly belched out a large cloud of dust and the dust is visible from Earth. It doesn’t look like a comet with a traditional tail, as we saw 11 years ago with Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, but through binoculars it can be seen as a fuzzy blob.

Here’s how to find it:

You’re familiar, I trust with the constellation Cassiopeia? Five stars arranged, as Jimmy Durante might have said, like ‘‘a big W.’’ After sunset, it’s in the northeastern sky, about halfway up, and tipped onto its left side (that is, the W is on its side, so that the bottom of the W faces east).

Cast your eyes down from the sideways W toward the horizon, about two Cassiopeia-lengths distance from Cassiopeia. There should be, at this writing, a very narrow diamond of stars, three arranged in a slight arc (the bottom two stars point toward the fourth star of Cassiopeia), and the fourth star, to the left of the other three, is Comet Holmes. It’s been moving toward the middle of those three stars — when I first saw it, right around the time we reverted to Standard Time, the comet and the lower two stars formed an equilateral triangle. By next week, I believe the comet is supposed to pass by that star and be on its other side.

With the naked eye, Holmes looks like a faint star, but with binoculars you can see it better as a comet.

I've been watching this comet. It looks to me more like a nebula that a faint star. To the naked eye, it's a fuzzy blob. The disk size (apparent) is a bit bigger than that of Venus, and the edge of the disk is very fuzzy. overall brightness is similar to a faint star. The color is very pretty!

space weather is a great site for sky watching events.

happy trails :)

The comet is very easy to see, great in binoculars.

A couple of other very worthwhile sites for all kinds of astronomical information...

http://heavens-above.com
This site also provides satellite tracking data and is the best site for predicting Iridium Flares. Although it is an artificial event, watching the reflected sunlight from a satellite bright enough to cast a shadow (for a second or two) is quite a spectacle (on average once a day for any given location).

http://www.skyandtelescope.com
S&T is a long respected amateur astronomer's publication.

Last edited:
It's nice and dark where I live, and I can just look up at night and see it almost every clear night. Funny, I've almost gotten used to it being there!

I finally got to see it Saturday night. At first I was dissapointed, because it seemed like a blob, but then I thought about what I was seeing, and how unusual it was, and I was thrilled!

One note: a friend emailed me about being able to see it with my "naked" eye and my email bounced it into "JUNK" messages. I looked at it through binoculars, just to be safe.

eruggles said:
I finally got to see it Saturday night. At first I was dissapointed, because it seemed like a blob, but then I thought about what I was seeing, and how unusual it was, and I was thrilled!

One note: a friend emailed me about being able to see it with my "naked" eye and my email bounced it into "JUNK" messages. I looked at it through binoculars, just to be safe.
I've been called a peeping Tom, because I own a lot of astronomy equipment, but I always tell people I just love watching heavenly bodies! :D

Thanks!

A word of thanks -- I saw this the other night and didn't know what I was seeing! I thought it was strange to see a planet where I was looking and thought it was out of place! I'll keep my eyes naked!

(This site is just a wealth of shared knowledge. It never stops!)

Comet has moved quite a bit

I had been trying to view the comet for over a week, but conditions were not favorable. Last night I took a kayak trip out on the river on a dark stretch north of Stuyvesant. The stars were spectacular, and it was easy to see the comet, now just above the brightest star in Perseus. Can't miss it, even without magnification - a big fuzzy glow.