Hawk watching

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sardog1 said:
For those who are interested (Rankin, I'm talkin' to you right now :) ), here's the NorthEast Hawk Watch site. Maps of hawk-watching locations plus field reports. I would add Mount Agamenticus in York, ME, and Mount Major in Alton, NH, to their list. Anyone got any other sites?

Do you know if there is a team in York that gives Mt Agamenticus full coverage during the migration period.

I belong to New Haven Bird club that has somebody at the lighthouse point watch every day. Something to look forward to when I retire.

Off topic...if you are eve in th eneighborhood Duluth Minnesota is one of the best spots in North America.

I did see a boatload of "birders" on the top of Wachusett on 9/17. I guess that must be a great viewing area due to the volume of people that was there. they seemed to see a bunch migratory birds as well.

What time of day is the best time to go.
Don't they do this migration thing off Skinner Mt as well???

Puck said:
Do you know if there is a team in York that gives Mt Agamenticus full coverage during the migration period.

I belong to New Haven Bird club that has somebody at the lighthouse point watch every day. Something to look forward to when I retire.

Off topic...if you are eve in th eneighborhood Duluth Minnesota is one of the best spots in North America.

I don't know of anybody covering Mount A, but there could be without my knowledge. From past years, I know that this would be a good week to make the trip.

I was born in Duluth. Here's a great article about Hawk Ridge from this month's Minnesota DNR "Conservation Volunteer":
Where Raptors Soar . If you're into raptors, it's worth the trip.

Maddy,

I don't think there's a best time of day. It has more to do with cold front timing and the birds' use of thermals to glide down the coast.

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
For those who are interested (Rankin, I'm talkin' to you right now :) ), here's the NorthEast Hawk Watch site. Maps of hawk-watching locations plus field reports. I would add Mount Agamenticus in York, ME, and Mount Major in Alton, NH, to their list. Anyone got any other sites?
Yeah, yeah, yeah! :eek:

Thanks, Laurie will appreciate this! :D

If you are reading this thread, then then following story may be of interest to you.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94565967

The Magic Hedge: Haven For A Lost Bird In Chicago

by Julie Zickefoose

All Things Considered, September 22, 2008 · It's fall migration time. Songbirds are pouring out of Canada on the way to their tropical wintering grounds. They fly through field, forest and treacherous city alike, headed south.

Tim

Thanks Sardog.
Hawks are soooo amazing!