Heavy Snow Warning In Effect ... Southern Sierra Nevada

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
I know some VFTT'ers have plans for visiting the Sierra, such as Yosemite, in the upcoming weeks, so wanted to bring this winter storm warning to their attention. This storm is a bit early, and temps/conditions are expected to return to more normal levels after the storm passes. What effects this has on the high country for the fall is anyone's guess - the skiers are thrilled but the leaf-peepers aren't. It will certainly close the mountains passes in the short term, but they're expected to re-open. For an historical sense of when these passes close, click here (for some reason the 2006-2007 season is incomplete).

And keep in mind that some of the passes on US395 (the main north/south artery in the Sierra) are 2 and 3,000 feet taller than Mt Washington, and these are not passes listed on the website above, so driving in storm conditions . If traveling in a rental vehicle without heavy-duty snows and you get caught in a storm, you must put on chains in order to proceed. And the CHP doesn't give fig about how long you've been driving those snowy roads in Northern New England! Should these conditions occur, they'll be signs posted. This requirement doesn't apply only in California - states like NV, OR and others have them.

These taller mountain passes on US395 are north of Bishop, and mostly north of Lee Vining, where the entrance to Yosemite is via Tioga Pass. That means accessing the Bishop/Mammoth area during winter is easier from the south (like LA) than from the north (Reno).

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY - HANFORD CA
216 PM PDT FRI SEP 21 2007

SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON-
TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
216 PM PDT FRI SEP 21 2007

HEAVY SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM PDT SATURDAY SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON AND FOR THE TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS..

WINTER STORM WATCH NO LONGER IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON AND FOR THE TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HANFORD HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW
WARNING.
..WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM PDT SATURDAY FOR THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON AND FOR THE TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS.

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

AN EARLY SEASON PACIFIC STORM OFF POINT CONCEPTION WILL MOVE INLAND LATER TONIGHT AND SATURDAY. THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO BRING TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF UP TO 18 INCHES ABOVE 8000 FEET...WITH 6 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE ABOVE 7000 FEET. LOCAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN THE HIGH COUNTRY COULD BE GREATER IN THE HEAVIEST SNOW SHOWERS. THE EXACT TRACK OF THE STORM IS STILL UNCERTAIN...SO SNOW FALL AMOUNTS MAY VARY.

DUE TO IT BEING THE FIRST SEASON SNOWFALL, CRITERIA FOR THE FIRST HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS CONSIDERABLY LOWER THAN NORMAL HEAVY SNOW WARNINGS. THE CRITERIA IS ONLY 4 INCHES IN 12 HOURS OR 6 INCHES IN 24 HOURS. HIKERS AND CAMPERS ARE URGED TO PREPARE FOR WINTER LIKE CONDITIONS AND RAPIDLY CHANGING CONDITIONS WITH THIS STORM.

IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT, FOOD AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Kevin. I'm headed out there Oct 10th. Maybe I'll PM you a day or two before I leave for an update?

thx
bob

Just go away, you evil person. :p

NWS forecast hereabouts, 9/22/07: "Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Calm wind becoming south between 6 and 9 mph. " This, after frost and freeze advisories the past week!

Doesn't anyone need advice on crampons? Or want to debate ice axe v. poles? Or complain about shin bang from their new plastic double boots?

dentonfabrics said:
Thanks for that info Kevin. I'm headed out there Oct 10th. Maybe I'll PM you a day or two before I leave for an update?

thx
bob
bob -

Ordinarily, I'd say sure, no problem, but ... am going to be in VT/NH myself 9/27 thru the 11th.

In case anyone's interested, here's a link with a couple of pics showing conditions after some squalls moved thru yesterday, before the storm hit.

There's lots of buzz due to the storm, in large part because it's so early, and most SoCal hikers are quite unprepared for cold weather, snow and ice.

The storm turned out to be a bit of a dud, at least in terms of snow in the Sierra. A dusting to a few inches in the mountains, not the dumping that had been predicted. Some of the valleys west of the Sierra got lots of rain, though.

Dugan said:
Waaaahhhh... I want the snow NOW!!!

I get depressed when I turn on my weather radio or watch tv about the temps being in the 80s next week. Some fall. I'm glad there are people out there who actually look forward to cold weather like I do.