High Altitude Training

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
I'm looking for some wisdom from you folks out there that have trained for high elevation climbs. In Mid-August we depart for Africa for a missions trip, as an aside we plan on climbing Kilimanjaro via the Machame route (5 days to summit.)

Here's what we're planning on (Training.)

Every morning do an aerobic workout of at least 45 minutes (running, biking, etc)

Plan on at least two strenuous hikes per month from now on. We have the Wildcat ridge, Owls Head, a Northern Presidential traverse, Isolation etc planned. Both of us are avid hikers anyway

We've both been to Colorado and have climbed to 14,288

Any info/wisdom to help us climb to Uhuru point would be greatly appreciated.
:)

About all you can do training-wise is be in the best possible aerobic condition. However, that does not necessarily prevent altitude sickness.
The best thing you can do is acclimatize gradually. From what I know of the Kilimanjaro ascent, this comes with the territory to some extent (5 days to the summit at least gives your body some time to adjust).
Diamox can also be effective. If you decide to go this route, request your doctor to write your scrip for the time-release version. It helps you regulate your dosage, and minimizes the urge to pee every 10 minutes!

I climbed Kilimanjaro via the Lemosho route in 2002 and it was much easier than I anticipated.
I've done some more demanding hike in the 'dacks. The only challenging portion was the climb up Arrow Glacier which I would compare to the Cathedral trail on Katahdin.
To help on acclimatization I would recommand climbing Mt. Meru (15,000ft) just prior to the Kili. I'm sure it contributed t our success. All ten in our group made it to the summit.
If you are a regular hiker you should not have any trouble.
I brought Diamox but did not need it.

to write your scrip for the time-release version

Thank you for that Oldsmores, I hadn't thought of that

Jean, I've done the Catherdral trail in Katahdin thanks for the mental picture that helps! I wish we were going to have the time to climb Mt Meru but hopefully the 4 days on the mountain prior to summit day will be enough.

Jim,

I have some experience training for higher peaks and am interested in how your planned training will actually be performed. What do you mean by an aerobic workout? How are you planning on hiking the strenuous hikes (i.e. target heart rate)?

The reason for my questions has to do with a bit of research I've done to improve my own performance. From what I've learned(on the internet), it seems that optimizing your ability to perform aerobic exercise is very desirable for climbing high mountains, but your training program may actually be doing more to improve your ability to perform anaerobic exercise.

For example, the body has a limited fuel supply (glycogen) to perform anaerobic exercise, but there's enough to summit a peak in the Northern Presidentials. You may feel like you're getting good training but actually not training the slow-twitch muscle fibers that burn fat aerobically as an energy source. To exercise aerobically, you want to do LSD (long, slow distance) and try to keep your heart rate low (less than about 140 bpm).

Good luck, sounds like a great adventure.

Alpine Ascents training program

Mavs00,
I'm familiar with that training program. I did follow it twice for periods of 3 months.
It is an excellent all-around program for cardio and muscle/endurance build up but I most say it is overkill for Kilimanjaro.

The program is geared towards aspiring Denali climbers who will have to carry all their gear at high altitude, 10-12 hours a day, for an extended period of time. On Kilimanjaro, porters are mandatory and they carry all the weight. All you have is your daypack and you never walk for more 4-5 hours a day.

That behind said, I must admit that in our group the ones that were in better shape had the biggest smiles at the top because they were suffering the less...

What do you mean by an aerobic workout?

When I visited Colorado and Arizona during 2000 and 2001 I prepared by simply riding a bike 45 minutes on hilly terrain for 3 days and then either run or power walk for 45 minutes on 3 days. I would consider this to be an aerobic exercise not anerobic but I might be wrong. I'd be interested in reading more about this.

I found that by throwing in long strenuous hikes at least twice monthly (hikes of over 3,000 feet in elevation or more than 15 miles) I was in good shape for tackling higher elevations out West.

Keep in mind that those hikes out West with the exception of two or three that I can remember would be considered moderate hikes to us.

As Jean has said Kilimanjaro is easier, porters carry some of your gear and all of the food. I want to make sure that I have the endurance to climb to 19,340 feet.

MAVS00 I will look at that link after work, thank you

I think most of us here have a "hiker mentality", when the going gets rough you just put your head down and plod onward.

Alpine Ascents

I followed the Alpine Ascents training program mavs00 refered to for my February 2004 climb of Rainier. I followed their program pretty close (long training hikes with 60 lbs. pack) and cruised up the mountain (awesome weather was a major factor). I plan to follow this program for a 2005 Denali trip.

The Alpine Ascents program looks sound.

From experience, tax your heart and lungs in training. I've done a lot of slow distance running and never felt like this got me ready for the hills as much as when I did more track intervals (400-800M) which really improves your power and aerobic capcity which I feel is extremely important. Of course you will need to have some endurance as well. The AA program seems to cover it all.

Forget Diamox. Just acclimate well, drink, eat, maybe have some aspirin along. My opinion - the last thing you want at altitude is a diuretic.

I've also heard Ginko is beneficial but never tried.

Have fun!

Ginko Biloba for the prevention of AMS

Thanks for this Ridgerunner. I have only had AMS once when climbing Greys Peak in Colorado and it wasn't pleasant. We'll try that out. The information from you all has been terriffic!!

Good luck to you Hampshire on your Denali trip!

Snowman does chasing kids around count as 400 meter sprints?
:)