Highpoint: Oklahoma. Black Mesa (4973 ft). July 4, 2010.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from http://www.trishalexsage.com
Accompanying pictures and one short video can be found there.

Oklahoma!

When I planned this trip back in early June, there were four highpoints that gave me pause. Virgina was one, but we ended up climbing Mt. Rogers easily enough. Oklahoma was another (I'll get to the other two at a later date). This hike is 8.6 miles roundtrip with 1500 feet elevation gain. This kind of trek is well within Alex's capabilities, but it presents a challenge for Sage. My youngest daughter has ascended 1500 feet over 4.5 miles, and she's hiked 8.5 flat miles...but she's never climbed 1500 feet over 8.5 miles. Add to the fact that the temperatures in this area are notoriously hot (mid-90s plus), and you might understand my concern. I decided we'd go ahead and try it, and that we would turn back if/when Sage wanted to call it quits.

The days leading up to our ascent were fraught with thunderstorms, and the forecast predicted lightning for the week ahead. We therefore took advantage of the one day Weather Underground predicted clear skies -- July 4.

The trailhead is in the western panhandle, a few miles from both the New Mexico and Colorado borders. From reading my guidebooks and SummitPost printouts, I knew we would be dealing with two miles of flat, one mile of steep, then one additional mile of flat (on top of the mesa). I also knew we should keep our eyes peeled for rattlesnakes.

The 4th was predictably hot, hot, and hot some more. After slathering sunblock on the girls and packing ten liters of water (literally!) in my backpack, we set off on the dusty trail...

The going was initially easier than I expected. The heat didn't bother us as much as I thought it would, perhaps because there was little humidity. I continually nagged the girls about drinking water, that probably helped too.

The miles along the trail are marked with benches. Here, the girls happily make use of "Mile One."

The second mile was just as flat as the first, though we had more interesting things to see.

Here are some of the ancient volcanic rocks that abound near and on Black Mesa...

...and some lovely vegetation...

...and a sample of the animal life.

We made it to the second bench in good time, though I noticed the girls' faces were getting red. Both of my daughters told me they felt fine, but I started slowing our pace and becoming even more of a nag about the water.

We embark on mile three -- time to climb the mesa!

Up...

...up some more...

...until we came to the bench marked "Mile Three."

Lovely views from here!

Shortly after leaving the third bench, the trail flattened out and crossed the top of the mesa; we still had over a mile to walk before reaching the official highpoint.

Eventually, we saw the rectangular monument in the distance...

...and arrived at the top!

We took refuge in that sliver of shade in the picture above, then we ate some grapes and drank even more water (only three of those ten liters remained). Both girls were feeling fine. Sage had not uttered one word of complaint or fatigue during our ascent; I suspect she is now just as strong as Alex was at her age.

Views from the official highpoint.

Feeling somewhat refreshed, we made our way back down.

The girls took turns bursting into the occasional Sondheim tune.

The last two miles were the most difficult -- we were now feeling the heat, and we drank every remaining drop of water before we reached the car. That's ten liters of water between one adult and two young children!

When we reached the parking lot, Sage was hot and tired, but very proud of herself. We enjoyed this hike -- Alex in particular thought the mesa landscape was beautiful and she didn't want to leave -- but we were grateful Oklahoma was now in the bag. We were also grateful that we hadn't encountered any rattlesnakes.

Next stop: Kansas.

Last edited:
Thanks, Unstrung. :)

[I'll eventually replace all the small images in the other posts with large ones, but that has to wait until next month. Large photos make quite a difference, don't they?]

Benches?

That is a nice touch having the benches on the way,new in the last two years. Were there any cattle grazing on the Mesa? We ran accross about thirty head at the monument but they gracously moved aside upon our arrival. NO BULLS. You were wise to watch for rattlers.In fact all these western hi-points need caution.Espec.White Butte No. Dakota. nest was discovered very clos to the marker.
You will like Kansas being so flat and so high.The corral that surounds the marker made of railroad spikes welded to gether in the shape of Sun Flowers is really clever.
And watch for Bison droppings at the high point in Nebraska. :)We had to drive among the bison to get to the Hi-Point what fun and they are huge, the gals will love them.

Thanks, Trailwright Bratt. We have now done all the ones you've mentioned. Most "exciting" was running up White Butte in between thunderstorms while watching for rattlers. It's been an interesting few days out here...actually had to drag the girls out of the tent in the middle of the night and flee a severe (and I mean severe!) lightning storm that was headed our way. Drove 50 miles north at 3am, stopped at a safe place, waited for the storm to pass through the campground area down south, then headed back to rescue the tent (which had been quite beaten up, but everything inside was thankfully dry -- love our little MSR tent).

Phew. That had nothing to do with Oklahoma, but it sure felt good writing it out.

I will be very happy to be out of tornado territory. Flat is not my bag.

Paradox, thank you! :)

Tornado country

We hope you are right about being out of Tornado country. We had to avoid them in Wisconsi,Illinois and waited one out at the visitors center in Wisconsin only 4 miles away in the Dells. No fun.Severe storms in Ohio.
We predict sunshine for the rest of your trip.
Tornados in Ossipee today would you believe it.

Hi Trailwright Bratt, I'm sorry about my previous post. I'm just now back in internet-land after having spent three days in the middle of relative nowhere. Felt good to vent when I had the chance, but I didn't do your previous post justice.

The benches on Black Mesa -- we loved them. They provide a great way to know exactly where you are, and how far you still have to go. Both Alex and Sage enjoyed seeing how fast they could get to the next one, which helped increase the pace of our hike and provided a bit of extra motivation.

We did not see any cattle on Black Mesa, but we did indeed run into the bison-patties on the Nebraska highpoint (will write more about that in a future TR).

We kept very sharp eyes out for rattlers on White Butte, but we didn't see any. This probably had a lot to do with the weather. There has been a series of severe thunder/lightning storms in the Dakotas. I have a weather radio and my laptop with me...we parked 5 miles away from White Butte and checked the forecast...we had a 4 hour window between predicted storms. We literally ran all the way up White Butte, me in front with my eyes scanning the ground, the girls right behind me. I was concerned about this peak, I've heard a lot of stories about the snakes. We shouted and sang all the way up, and I never took my eyes off the ground. The girls followed in my footsteps, as I had instructed (they're good about taking orders when they know it's extremely important). We did not see any whatsoever, though -- I think the wet weather kept them away. Literally five minutes after returning to the car, we heard a peak of distant thunder. I think the next storm arrived about half an hour after we left.

Kansas was cute. I think that pretty much describes that highpoint: cute. :)

We have not seen any tornadoes, thankfully. I do my best to stay away from areas that have bad activity in the forecast. However, storms often crop up unexpectedly. Last night was the worst, but, thankfully, we will soon be out of tornado country.

I would love to see pictures of your journeys, sometime. Perhaps when we return to NH, we can compare photographs. Did you do all 50? No idea if the girls will ever decide they want to do the big ones, but I, for one, hope to finish the list at some point in my life.

Last edited:
Future

:)I know you are ahead of your reports.Do you plan on Texas on this trip? You will get your first altitude check. The first time Peg felt a little head pounding as it was our first climb at 8,749.You may not want to if you feel Sage may not feel up to it.However the trail is doable for Alex and sage as it is graded all the way but it will be a challenge for them.Equivalent of Washington.Spectactular views. While in the area a trip to Carlsbad caverns in N mexico would delite the gals and is unbelivable.Hike down and count the switchbacks as you descend.You come back up in the elevator after easy walking for a good hour or two but worth it.Tremendous rooms and beautiful colors.
Not far away is Rosewell and its museum a real hoot.
A little further west is the little town of Capitan. The area where Smokey was found.It has a very nice museum as a tribute to Smokey and Wildland Fire fighters.Smokey is buried there. I could go on but enough for now on Texas and that part of N,M.
I know you will enjoy Nebraska with all the rich history of the wagon trains and the Wonderful Landmarks nearby.What an education for the Gals.
Looking forward to your reports as you continue.
Harney Peak (SD) was a very enjoyable High point and talk about our Heritage nearby with Rushmore etc.So much for you to enjoy. Devils Tower is not that far away either. Enough ENJOY.

I almost included Texas this year, but then I thought I better err on the side of simplicity, for Sage's sake. Texas is, I hear, hot, dry, and very steep. Also, Sage has not yet done Mt. Washington on her own, and Alex still hasn't done Mt. Washington in one day. Therefore, I figured I'd better save Texas for another year. We might decide to tackle that next fall, after we've done Maine and NY in the summer of 2011. I'll wait and see what the girls want to do when the time comes.

Texas

I certainly understand your concerns.yes it can be hot and dry however the trail is not steep by NH standards at all. It is well graded and is compatible with Horses as are most trails out west. Reminds me of the grades on the Edmunds path but even easier.BTW Peg was born in Texas.
To answer your earlir Question. we have 43 completed with Marcy the only one in the East.We hope to do Kings peak in Utah 13,528 and possibly Hood,Oregon 11,239 if i can talk Peg into it. Gannett,Wyoming 13,804;Granite,Montana,!2,799;Borah,Idaho 12,622 are a little technical but possible with a guide.Ranier and Danali are out of question.As I age, I dislike snow and Ice more and more and do not relish waiting in a tent for weather to clear which seems to happen a lot as I read the accounts as others finish the 50.
Mauna Kea, Hawaii, 13,796 is one I would like to do if i get there.Only to be 20 years younger,and had heard about the Hi-Pointers Club earlier.
You have that chance and I would recommend you doing it.The only thing difficult in all the ones we have done has been acclimating to the altitudes encountered out West,but we worked it out and had NO problems at all. It was difficult but as you know all hikes have there difficulties at some point but that is what makes the reward so much better.
It has been a hi-lite of MY life being in all 49 states taking in not only the points but the history and heritage we share has been beyond words.You,Alex and Sage sharing your exploits with us all has made it enjoyable for us to re live those experiences. thank YOU so much.

Hi TrailwrightBratt,

I guess Texas will be our first stop when we head out west again in a few years. Sounds like it will be within the girls' abilities soon, if it's not already.

Wow, you've done so much! I'm glad to hear you and Peg had a great time. The girls and I have too, though Alex and Sage are too young to truly appreciate American history. I mention things to them, but right now they're all about the scenery and the campgrounds.

Let me know if/when you do Marcy and Hawaii. Maybe we'll see you out there in a year or two. ;)