Hike the Whites - Summer, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
Hike the Whites – Summer, 2008
Overview
Saratoga Springs, New York

Plans are finalized for this year’s hiking adventure to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The trip involves 4 consecutive hike days, multiple summits, accumulative ascents greater than 10,000 feet and over 40 total hiking miles.

Our group has been visiting the White Mountains each summer since 2003. As the trip organizer, my experience includes nearly thirty years of Northeast hiking. I am a retired physical education teacher who specialized in adventure education and high ropes course work. As an ADK 46er and former trip leader for the Glens Falls, NY Chapter of ADK, I currently enjoy returning to my favorite summits in addition to planning and participating in outings that bring together a co-ed group of hiking friends (40 - 60 years of age).

Previous years our group completed a day hike from Galehead Hut over the Bonds. We have also enjoyed a 4-day traverse of the Presidential Range with overnights at Madison, Lakes of the Clouds and Mizpah Spring Huts. On one trip, we hiked from Lincoln through the Twins with overnights at Greenleaf and Galehead Huts. Last year we traversed the Wildcats and Carters with overnights at Joe Dodge Lodge and Carter Notch Hut. One year we finished a potpourri hike involving Cannon, North and South Kinsman, Willey, Field, Tom, Zealand, and Hale with overnights at Lonesome Lake, the Highland Center and Zealand Falls. Throughout the years we have been hiking in the Whites, we have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality and amenities of the AMC High Mountain Huts and lodges.

Of particular importance is our primary concern with individual and group safety. We believe this is best achieved through group cooperation, mutual respect and a hiking pace that is only as quick as the slowest hiker. We insist on hiking together for the entire hike (start to finish) so we would welcome others willing to respect and comply with our protocols. That is why the group's chemistry is extremely important. Here is a general idea of our group's hiking pace.

Our hiking pace generally is 2 MPH for each mile traveled and 1 MPH for each 1000 feet of elevation gain. For example, Algonquin Peak from Heart Lake; 8 miles RT = 4 hours of hike time; 2938 feet of ascent = 3 hours hike time. The round trip hike time (excluding rest/snack, photo ops, summit time) would be approximately 7 hours.

Our hikes are relaxed but purposeful with occasional rest stops (more on ascent than descent), snack breaks, quality summit time (when possible), photo ops along the way and generally longer ascent time than descent time. We cover a lot of distance and summits as a group and retreat only if a member's health is in jeopardy or severe weather causes safety concerns. We have a great time enjoying the mountains as much as each other’s company!

We currently have 2 openings for this year’s trip. If you are interested in learning more about any aspect of these outings, feel free to post a reply or contact me.

Additional trip details are included in the next post, Hike the Whites – Trip Details - July, 2008.

Hike the Whites - Trip Details - July, 2008

Hike the Whites – Trip Details – July, 2008
Dates July 16 – July 19, 2008
Singles, Doubles and Triples

Please see the introductory post titled Hike the Whites – Summer, 2008 for essential information on individual responsibilities, expectations and hiking protocols.

This year’s trip is a four-day commitment (three overnights) that includes 7, 4000’ summits, a total of 43.5 miles of hiking over four consecutive days, with accumulative ascents of 13,350’ in 32 – 36 hours of hike time.

There are no rain days (non-hike days) planned in this trip.

The mountains are: Mt. Waumbek (4006’), Mt. Cabot (4170’), South Carter (4430’), Middle Carter (4610’), Mt. Moriah (4049’), Mt. Whiteface (4020’), and Mt. Passaconaway (4043’).

Our three overnights will be at Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham Notch (dinner, breakfast and bunk included). The rate for Joe Dodge Lodge is $53.92 for Appalachian Mountain Club members per day. If you check AMC Lodge rates, our cost reflects a discount for AMC members booking three consecutive weekday nights.

So the basic cost of the 4-day trip (for AMC lodging and food, tax included) will be $161.76 for AMC members. Non-members may have to pay a slightly higher rate if they cannot show proof of AMC membership at check-in.

There will be additional expenses -- food at local restaurants on travel days, transportation costs - the cost of fuel is divided equally between people sharing vehicles, the cost of White Mountain National Forest parking permits (one per vehicle) will be divided equally between the team members - we will probably need a minimum of 2 permits (2 cars).

I'm figuring on an additional $60.00 - $80.00. Preliminary numbers add up to a minimum expenditure of approximately $220.00 - $240.00 for the four days - room, board, transportation, fuel, etc. It may be more or less depending on the wishes of the group members regarding food and perhaps entertainment.

For information on accommodations:
Joe Dodge Lodge:
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/pnvc/pnvc-facts.cfm

Once again, we currently have 2 openings for this year’s trip. If you are interested in learning more about any aspect of these outings, feel free to post a reply or contact me.

Only one opening left for New Hampshire

There is now only one opening left for the hiking trip to New Hampshire, July 16 - 19, 2008.

I will hold the final reservation until June 12 at which time I will cancel in order to receive a full refund.

Any questions contact me.