HikerAmiga

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
I posted a trip report about my weekend in Baxter, and mentioned that Nilsa (HikerAmiga) had an accident. I apologize for not giving more details. Sharing this thread from RoT, since I was not present when it happened and don't have first-hand info.

Nilsa herself has chimed in tonight with further details. Get well soon!

HikerAmiga thread

Ouch ! So sorry, Nilsa. Good job RoT'ers and Vftt'ers in the stabilization and carry ! Kudos to Mad River on his "first victim" !

How does one distinguish a RoT'er from a Vftt'r ? ;)

Nice job ROt's and Speedy healing to Nilsa.

We heard via phone while still up in the White's on Sunday and were wondering how the surgery went. Best of luck with the remaining surgery!

Low Pain & fast healing karma!! :rolleyes:

Wow!

How terrible. Nilsa, at least you had the best possible group of people around you to help. Get well! You will be out there again doing what we all love before you know it.

Oh noooo :(

Well, I'm glad you were hiking with some very competent folks!

Sending good healing vibes...

Very sorry to hear about this accident also. Wishing her a speedy, pain free recovery also. And again, its great to be with good people.

Keith

Sorry to hear about this Nilsa but glad you had so many friends around to help! Gail and I send you good vibes, prayers, and wish you a pain free and speedy recovery!

Nilsa,

Wow! Bummer!

Sorry to hear about your injury, but fortunately help was close at hand. As you know, I've recently been through something similar and some of what I have learned might be helpful to you. Feel free to contact me (PM or email) if you have any questions or need any help.

If you wish to read up on your injury, http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/menu_for_the_tibia_tibia_frx is a good place to start.

Doug

Richmond says to heal up fast and pain free!! ;)

I followed the link to RoT - I don't know that I've been there before, but have heard of it. In an attempt to respond to Nilsa's post - I tried to register on the site. Like here, I'd need a sponsor's recommendation.

Do you think that RoT is in need of a smart a$$ member?? If so, let me know.

My post (had I been able to post it) was going to affirm just how "humbling" it is to be carried off a mountain - by friends and strangers. I hope most of you never have to experience that feeling. Very cool that so many RoTters/VFTTrs were there to help (seems like I recognized about everybody on the thread!!)

Last edited:
Hi Hiker Amiga

Altho you don't know me I've read some of your posts & TR

Things like that happen so quickly
& I think it's safe to say that it's happened to every one of us/
one minute you're hiking the next minute you're down

it's such a Freak accident!

I want you to know that my thoughts & prayers are with you
for a speedy & hopefully comfortable recovery.

Thanks for your well wishes!!!

Thanks all!! As "Richmond" said above (I just love Bubba's real name and he knows it!! :D ), it was a very humbling experience especially when witnessing my fellow friends and hikers' (to include complete strangers) compassion towards me!! They sacrified their belongings to keep me warm; some may have not seen them back?? They walked in ankle and knee deep waters through a boggy area while carrying my litter!!! All the while looking up into their faces seeing "angels" and "my heroes"! I believe the final count of folks that helped me on the trail, whose names the park rangers collected, were 46!!! Wow! Speaks volumes about the human spirit in our community!!! The RoT site is much smaller than this one and many of us double as VFTT'ers, yes. However, in my view, we are more similar than dissimilar!! :)

Till now I'd never broken a bone in my body. Sprained an ankle 2 years ago and not even on the trail but running for the train instead on my way to work! :rolleyes: The hardest part of my recovery (I already sense) will be adapting to being immobile during the next 8 weeks and allowing myself to ask for help and assistance! I've always been fiercely independent and now it's impossible.

Again, thank you all for the kind words here of encouragement and well wishes!

Hope to meet and/or see many of you again real soon on our trails!!!

Best,

We do have the best group of friends along the trails, some we know and some that we dont that will just drop everything for our fellow comrades..Glad everything turned out ok.

Last edited:
It was really impressive watching the response of everyone during this event.

It was the swift kick in the pants to several of us considering Wilderness First Aid/First Responder training. Perhaps down the line, we'll be better equipped to help someone else, and indirectly some good will come out of your injury.

It was my first (and hopefully last) involvement with a litter, but I suspect you will be one of the rare cases where the victim seems more concerned about the rescue crew than herself.

Rest up and heal. If you don't have a Netflix account, consider it. Daytime TV is our nations punishment for the unemployed. ;)

Oh Nilsa! I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. :(

Thank goodness you were surrounded by such a wonderful and caring group of people -- you were truly blessed in that sense.

Get well soon!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Nilsa, but let it take whatever time it needs to heal completely. Looking forward to reading your TRs again in the future when you're ready.