Hikers Cool Off on Top of Washington Story

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also an article in the Union Leader today about places to cool off including the Polar Caves, Lost River, The Flume and Mt Washington.

My favorite free place to cool off is the ice caves in King Ravine. 90 outside-45 inside!

I did Ice Gulch in Randolph this past Monday. I rate it as good as Mahoosuc Notch for place to cool down on a hot day. The Cook Path has pretty good shade and a couple of well spaced streams getting to the Gulch and the Ice Gulch path back to Randolph Hill road also has a couple of well spaced streams on the way out. I didnt go out to the falls on Monday but they are worth the trip. Fairy Spring at the end of the notch is real special place with three distinct springs creating a stream where there wasnt one 25 feet back.

It took me 4.5 hours round trip including the road walk. The one downside is that it is not dog friendly as there are a lot of deep holes in the bolders (many filled with ice and snow) in the gulch.

If you find a green bandanna at the springs it was mine:(

Latest posts