Hikers discover Steve Fossett papers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad this wreckage was found. Now the family can hopefully get some closure.

Quite a few years ago a friend and I were hiking one of the Connecticut " Blue " trails and noticed a fresh herd path leading off of it . We followed it in for about 5 minutes and found a crashed sailplane lying in pieces against the base of a large tree. It looked like it hadn't been there very long so we were reluctant to look in what was left of the cockpit. There was no pilot and we found out later he had been removed the day before . My friend's father flew us over the site a day or two later and even knowing the exact location of the crash site , it still was almost impossible to see . It's no wonder Fossette's plane went undiscovered for a year .

Dave

I think the only thing I've found while off trail was the remains of balloons (more than once)...but maybe that's a good thing. A mystery solved is a good thing also.

lattinhill said:
It's no wonder Fossette's plane went undiscovered for a year.

carole said:
I think the only thing I've found while off trail was the remains of balloons (more than once)...but maybe that's a good thing. A mystery solved is a good thing also.

While it is somewhat amazing that they missed it given the scope of the search operations out there, it is easy to look at the Belknap crash, for instance, and understand how hard a wreckage must be to locate (the Belknap plane crash, which was less than a quarter of a mile from the fire tower, wasn't located for a year).

My first reaction to the initial news was "I hope this isn't some sort of Big Foot scam where the locals are planting evidence to attract attention." I'm happy for the family that the wreckage has been located, that's some closure. Remains would be too much to hope for at this point, I guess.

Chip said:
My first reaction to the initial news was "I hope this isn't some sort of Big Foot scam where the locals are planting evidence to attract attention." I'm happy for the family that the wreckage has been located, that's some closure. Remains would be too much to hope for at this point, I guess.
According to the 6pm news, some remains have been found.

Doug

DougPaul said:
According to the 6pm news, some remains have been found.

Doug
That's correct. Crews are rushing with the recovery efforts as a big storm is due beginning tomorrow. There's concern that wreckage might be snow-covered until spring.