Hikers Stranded

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They "lost" all their gear except one sleeping bag. Obviously the guy had plans. Looks like they went awry. :D

I'm wondering if they abandoned their gear and kept the one sleeping bag. It seems to me that if you lose "all your gear" you would also lose the bag as it would normally be attached to you pack.
I hope they SAR can rescue them safely soon.

Maddy said:
I'm wondering if they abandoned their gear and kept the one sleeping bag. It seems to me that if you lose "all your gear" you would also lose the bag as it would normally be attached to you pack.
It is a little early to speculate given how little information we have.

The route involves technical terrain and glacier travel which means that there is also ample opportunity to accidentally lose gear too.

Doug

Maddy said:

Put the pack down and it fell off the ridge. I've done it.

If I understood the route correctly from Summitpost it's a pretty involved scramble and glacier route, which means if you get off route you can find yourself over your head very quickly.

The original report has been updated today:
A resuce crew reached them, and provided supplies. They are walking out.

The report says "they were descending the mountain along the Ptarmigan Traverse hiking route when they lost their gear near Dana Glacier and were stranded on an 18-inch ledge,"

Same url: http://www.kirotv.com/news/17322908/detail.html

Doug

I think I just saw the same ABC newspost that DougPaul saw, was going to post the same thing that they made it out via helicopter and they even got it on film or at least some part of the rescue...

Jay

DougPaul said:
The original report has been updated today:
A resuce crew reached them, and provided supplies. They are walking out.

The report says "they were descending the mountain along the Ptarmigan Traverse hiking route when they lost their gear near Dana Glacier and were stranded on an 18-inch ledge,"

Same url: http://www.kirotv.com/news/17322908/detail.html

Doug

Thanks Doug. By the way, don't forget to check out the comments to this report. I found them quite entertaining.

Jay H said:
I think I just saw the same ABC newspost that DougPaul saw, was going to post the same thing that they made it out via helicopter and they even got it on film or at least some part of the rescue...
The rescuers got to them, fed and sheltered them overnight, and walked them down 3000 vert ft to a place where they could be picked up by helicopter. They were scared, cold, and wet but evidently not hypothermic.

Doug

Great news they are out safely.
I don't think they lost their packs. At least one of them was hoisting a really big pack on the 11 pm news report. He looked pretty darn good, but a little weary after all they went through.

I know Matt and he does a lot of hiking here in NE. When I see him next I will ask him exactly what happened and post his reply here

Lou

Lou Hale said:
I know Matt and he does a lot of hiking here in NE. When I see him next I will ask him exactly what happened and post his reply here

Lou

WOW this is someone you know? Please ask him to write up a full report it will be interesting to find out what really happened. I am so glad they are making it out okay! :)