Hiking during a week of "atmospheric instability"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For most of this week the forecast has been depressingly similar: possibility of showers or thunderstorms, no clue where or when they would happen. I went out hiking four days, with dramatically different outcomes.

Tuesday, 6/17: Liberty with a reasonably early start. About half way down I heard the pitter patter of raindrops on the leaves, then felt said drops, put on raingear. About half an hour of precipitation, including ten minutes or so of heavy downpour.

Thursday, 6/19: Again an early start, up Osseo to Flume. Decent weather almost the whole time, just a few drops on the way down, stopped before I put on raingear.

Saturday 6/21: Forecast called for decent weather in the morning, with a chance of precipitation later in the day. Outstanding weather for Franconia Ridge, stayed good in the evening so we had a cookout on my porch.

Sunday, 6/22: Back to the usual crummy forecast. Decided to do Cascade Brook (redlining AT in NH), returning to car by Lonesome Lake and Pemi trails. As I approached the campground I heard distant thunder, then it got closer. Put on raingear just as the Pemi Trail left the campground, continuous rain with thunder and occasional lightning until I got home. Very heavy rain at times, at the Basin decided to switch to bike path for faster hiking. Rain so heavy at times that driving was unpleasant, with limited visibility.

Had I only hiked with a good forecast I would have done just one hike this week. Of the three hikes I did with a questionable forecast one had good weather (Thursday), one had a brief downpour (Tuesday) , and only one (Sunday) was a washout. Even the Sunday hike was not too bad; now that I have showered and changed I realize that I was in no danger of drowning on the trail :D

Lucky you weren't down in Ashland--where there were tornado warnings. We were about to go out on Squam but the marine radio shouted out the warnings so changed our plans. Got to see some great lightening on the lake.

It's only 9am and we just heard quite the crash of thunder down here in Mass. I guess I won't complain about going to work today...

Ferrisjrf, Nif and I were hunkered down in the col between the Cannonballs for a little bit on Sunday. A couple of close lightning strikes decided for us whether we should head back down to the car or go for the Kinsmans. ;)

leaf said:
Ferrisjrf, Nif and I were hunkered down in the col between the Cannonballs for a little bit on Sunday. A couple of close lightning strikes decided for us whether we should head back down to the car or go for the Kinsmans. ;)
We were wondering how you were doing up there. Shopping wasn't such a bad idea after all, now was it? :)

leaf said:

Yesterday, I spent an electrifying hour hunkered down between Zealand and Zeacliff. A handful of bolts were within a third of a mile, one of which was horizontal. It blew my mind that I saw two families hiking towards higher ground, with lightning strikes not a mile away.

Justifiable concerns...

We scurried back down Snow's Mountain on Saturday afternoon as it started to spit rain and we could see the thunderheads off to the southwest. We'd heard sketchy details of someone being killed in a lightning strike on Friday so that was high on the minds of at least some of the "responsible parties". It did take a little urging to move the two little girls in our party along -- they were enjoying the wild strawberries we found way too much to want to go home.

As it turned out, the storm never made it up the Valley on Saturday -- but yesterday afternoon more than made up for it with heavy rain and close strikes (no baseball-sized hail, and no tornadoes, thank goodness).

Glad you didn't have a hair-raising experience, Leaf.

The key is to successfully find the window and adjust your plans accordingly in times of atmospheric instability. I started up to Stairs Mtn. after the rain stopped at about 2:00 Saturday. I ran into a few descending hikers who got soaked in the storm and were quite shaken by the lightning. I camped out on the Giant Stairs where nary a raindrop fell all night, and I reached my car on Sunday afternoon just as the light show started up again. This wasn't the original plan, but one that made sense given the look of the skies overhead.

Second week of "atmospheric instability"

Today (Tuesday 6/24) the forecast was as usual: it may rain, there may be thunder, we will not tell you when or where :eek:

Decided to go up to Mt. Liberty and then decide what to do. On summit around noon, saw dark clouds over the Kinsmen. Since the two options for extra hiking were both on the ridge, and since tomorrow's forecast looks much better, I decided to go down. By the time I reached the top of the Liberty Spring trail I could hear distant thunder. The thunder stayed pretty far away, but I got a bit of rain, enough to put on raingear, but nothing like Sunday.

More of the same this weekend :eek:

Plan to hike today (looks muggy but rain-free), cookout on porch tonight (high probability of no rain), hike tomorrow with friends who work (decent chance of no rain), cookout much more iffy, Sunday looks to be probably wet. Almost same as last weekend :eek:

monadnock 6/22

raced down from the peak after watching a very ominous cloud approach. Could here the rumbling of thunder not far behind it. As i looked back to see the oncoming storm, i had noticed a man carrying a child in a kid carrier still vying for the top :eek:. I hunkered down in a growth trees as the storm passed over head. The lightning was intense and within a half mile or so. Down poured heavily for the next half hour and i left soaked. One of my more eventful hikes of the year.

We returned Monday from 9 days in northern NH and Maine:

3 days camped on Lake Umbagog, rained one night, threatened a couple other times but we didn't get wet and it didn't change our paddling plans

hiked Mt. Aziscohos ... poor trails, great views, no rain until after dinner

hiked Poplar Stream Falls and the new hut ... started raining near trail's end but kept dry under the canopy ... and it stopped in time for the tailgate

explored the Jackman area ... overcast and threatening the whole time but didn't get wet

I guess we were lucky to have such good weather!

P.S. No black flies but tons of mosquitos which are easily discouraged.

The weather in the past week or so has been crummy and unstable. I'd be very happy to be off work for the day, have a trip planned with a sunny morning followed by an afternoon thundershower. Will this atmospheric instability continue?

I attempted a trip to Greylock today. Gray and threatening the whole way. It probably didn't rain a bit all day in the Berkshires. I got held up by the Pittsfield 4th parade and decided to turn around.

Guess I should just learn to enjoy hiking in all conditions and nevermind any view from the top.

DaveG

Last edited:
This weekend (4th of July) seems to be determined to redeem everything!

Today (Friday) I had a splendid hike along Franconia Ridge: no precipitation, moderate humidity, light breeze and decent (but not spectacular) visibility. Saturday looks as good, and Sunday only has a 20% chance of precipitation, odds I can definitely live with.