Hiking in Shorts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
With the recent mild weather, I have managed to hike in shorts the last three weekends in the whites. These were all "peek a boo" summits where the majority of the hike is in the woods and generally get some sun. I use my nylon zip off pants and start out a bit cool at the trailhead (typically in the mid thirties) with the pant legs zipped up, onces thing warm up, the pant legs get unzipped and slid down in my socks as I have no hope of getting them over my winter boots. Inevitably I encounter a few folks wrapped up under a few layers look at me as though I am crazy but I find as long as it is not windy and I am moving my legs don't get cold. About the biggest shock is I will usually get in my car with the shorts on at the end of the hike and by the time I get home, the sun has gone down and my metabolism has gone into low gear and the dash to the house is pretty cool. Do note I have the appropriate long pants and polypro bottoms in the pack just in case. At some point when it makes sense I will switch to winter gear again but it has been a interesting November and December to date. A few year back I actually pulled off shorts on a warm new years day hike.

Anyone else stretching the season with shorts?

My days off have not been sunny, so shorts have not been in my arsenal. I have knocked back on my winter load though. I usually transition to my standard winter load and that's it till spring. But it's hard to justify a full blown parka in my pack when I leave the car in a light shirt and a vest. I have also dropped some other gear as well, expedition mitts, insulated bottle holders, thermos, there is just no way I'm going to use the stuff. So, I haul it all in my duffle and pack at the trailhead. Heck, I don't even know where my snowshoes are at this point.:eek:

It's what all the cool kids are doing nowadays. Last weekend on Franconia ridge I saw no less than 4 brave souls sporting shorts. OTOH if the shorts are long enough and your hiking socks are high enough and your gaiters are in place then it's almost as wearing pants ��

With the recent mild weather, I have managed to hike in shorts the last three weekends in the whites. These were all "peek a boo" summits where the majority of the hike is in the woods and generally get some sun. I use my nylon zip off pants and start out a bit cool at the trailhead (typically in the mid thirties) with the pant legs zipped up, onces thing warm up, the pant legs get unzipped and slid down in my socks as I have no hope of getting them over my winter boots. Inevitably I encounter a few folks wrapped up under a few layers look at me as though I am crazy but I find as long as it is not windy and I am moving my legs don't get cold. About the biggest shock is I will usually get in my car with the shorts on at the end of the hike and by the time I get home, the sun has gone down and my metabolism has gone into low gear and the dash to the house is pretty cool. Do note I have the appropriate long pants and polypro bottoms in the pack just in case. At some point when it makes sense I will switch to winter gear again but it has been a interesting November and December to date. A few year back I actually pulled off shorts on a warm new years day hike.

Anyone else stretching the season with shorts?

Not in shorts, but hiking around the Mount Cabot Trails (Shelburne) this past Sunday surely felt like a different month.

I remember that new years day - 50 F at the summit of Zealand as I slowly sank in concrete wet snow in my snowshoes. That was a hard walk that day. Gorgeous sun, tired legs.

Wow...the Yoga pant crowd has nothing on you guys!

If you do a winter 4k after Dec 22 in shorts, does it still count?

Oh YEAH!!

cb

Boots, long wool socks, Swiss Army surplus gaiters that are knee-high and made of rubber sprayed on over wool, shorts almost down to the knees. God to below freezing if you keep moving and there is no wind, and i carry wicking long drawers and fleece trousers for camp or the wind.