Hiking Mt Abram, ME (in that area)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
Hi,
I am playing a few gigs at the Mt Abram Ski Area next weekend; March 5, etc. I will be arriving Friday night. I was hoping to be able to hike something worthwhile the following day. Here are the parameters and thoughts:
  • Close enough to Locke Mills or Bethel, like 15 or so miles (I have thought about Grafton Notch and Speckled Wilderness).
  • Is Bog Rd off of RT 2 plowed (maybe Caribou Mnt)?
  • I want something 5 miles or less so I can take a friend who hikes less than I do.
  • I would like a view
  • I would like the trail to be broken, but after today's snow, that might be tough to tell, eh?
  • Not super hard, able to be done with a mild hangover
And if anyone is in that area. I am playing Saturday night and Sunday with a great bluegrass band, but with drums, so a little rock and roll never hurts. These guys are good, though. Promise. AND! I have tons of gigs this month in Cambridge, if anyone (Stan) misses me.

I learned to ski at Mt Abram and we take the family back there frequently.

Caribou is a great small mountain, the road might be plowed to the green house/residence. I'm not sure.

Rumford Whitecap is another great small mountain with an open summit and great views. Check out this link Rumford Whitecap Should be easy parking by the road.

Table Rock loop in Grafton Notch is also nice. Take the AT to the link if you don't want to climb the steeper eastern part of the loop.

Hiking up Mt Abram proper requires permission of the owners, which you should be able to get.

Vegimatic might be able to clarrify/add to what I've posted.

Latest posts