Hiking options in Munich, Germany and Salzberg, Austria

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
A good friend of mine is going to be going to Europe to do some singing but is looking to do some hiking in the above areas but mostly on the Germany side. If any of you know about any good hiking opportunities, let me know. Also, any groups that she could hook up with would be nice. We're not talking about mountaineering, but a good hike as my friend is not a climber and most likely will be solo. She's looking for perhaps a club or even a guide or so if needed for a nice dayhike in the area...

Thanks,
Jay

One can take a nice long walk or two in the Englisher Garten in Munich. IIRC, one can also take a nice walk along the river. (Sorry, can't remember the name offhand, but I recall walking along it south of the Englisher Garten.) And the Deutches Museum isn't to be missed if you have any interest in technology.

And watch out--bikes travel on marked lanes on the sidewalk...

Doug

First, ALL woods any town has well maintained logging roads that are wonderful to walk. The locals walk there regularly, Take the local Public Transportation towards any hill and they'll find hillwalking.

Every weekend there are many 'volksmarches'. a 10 or 20 km planned course. Here's a link for the weekly events.(Turns out this is not an updated page, but will show the popularity of the events)

Volksmarches

Here's a map of western Berchtesgaden area, Mount Waltzman, and the Hockalter. Click on the 'Full Size' button.

sweeper54

Last edited:
Thanks, I will pass that on to her shortly. It turns out her father is ill and she might not go, but she'll know soon and if so, I'll pass that info on..

Thanks...

Jay

DougPaul said:
One can take a nice long walk or two in the Englisher Garten in Munich. IIRC, one can also take a nice walk along the river. (Sorry, can't remember the name offhand, but I recall walking along it south of the Englisher Garten.) And the Deutches Museum isn't to be missed if you have any interest in technology.

And watch out--bikes travel on marked lanes on the sidewalk...

Doug

Don't do like I did when I went there...I was just walking wherever I wanted. I kept wondering why every cyclist kept swearing at me.

Finally caught on :eek:

Fish

A really long time ago (now that I think of it, it was 20 years ago!) two friends and I spent a few days in the Garmisch area - near Munich and at the foot of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak. We went to a tourist info store and got an awesome map of the area's "wanderweg"s - (trails) and had several great days hiking. We thought we were in good shape, till several locals who were probably pushing 80 blew by us with a cheerful "Gruss Gott" !There are some huts you can stop at in the area too, though I don't know any details. We didn't climb the Zugspitze, as we did not have equipment or knowledge at the time for snow travel, but the views were unbelievable. We stayed at a B&B that was very hiker-oriented, almost like a hostel. I can scrounge for details if you are interested, though they are likely to be old.

Weatherman

oberaudorf germany, about 2 hour easly drive from Munich. There is also a train station there. Home to the Oberaudorf ski area, huge network for paved and gravel roads (for walking or biking only) thoughout the foothills of the Alps. Like the sound of music, lots of lively beer gardens along the trails.