Hiking plans for Peggy O'Brien Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'll start this off:

Laurie and I plan to do 2 hikes while we're there:

1. Gothics and Armstrong.

2. Marcy and whatever else we can get that day, i.e. Skylight and Gray.

BTW, there are now 2 openings (again!), so tell all your friends!

TMax said:
Gothics is a must! I'd like to get Haystack and Basin. Big Slide defeated me earlier this year so that's a possibility too!

We'll probably start off with Gothics/Armstrong, and upper Wolf Jaws as well, as it seems better to do UWJs than all the way back around.

Big Slide is one of those peaks (like Yard or the Wolf Jaws) that you could conceivably do on the way in, or even better, on the way out, since you will be carrying less food. But some of those options require you to get a ride to/from your car. But since there are a lot of us, that could possibly be arranged.

We might do Yard on Sunday if we can get an early start, dropping our gear at the cabin.

We've done the Wolf Jaws and Big Slide before.

Plans

TMax said:
Gothics is a must! :D
I'd like to get Haystack and Basin. :)
Big Slide defeated me earlier this year :( so that's a possibility too!

I am hoping to get an early start and to try for LWJ on the first day after dropping off some gear either at or near the cabin. One of the other two days, preferably the 20th I hope to do Haystack and Basin. I've never been up Chicken Coop Brook but it seems an interesting approach to these peaks if there's not too much unconsolidated snow, otherwise the traditional route past Slant Rock may be best. Because of the distance to these two peaks I really would like to get them on this trip cutting off about six miles compared to going straight from the Garden. A group of four or more would be ideal - especially if there is trail to be broken. If anyone has info on the CCB route and or GPS waypoints it would be much appreciated. Marcy is a possibility as well for one of the days.

Mike

I'm glad Tom started this thread-I was going to pretty soon.
I've never climbed Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Marcy, Skylight, Gray, or Big Slide. I have climbed the range from Gothics through the Wolf Jaws. I would also like to do Haystack and Basin together if possible, and I would probably be up for the first full day, the 20th, as Skidoc mentions. I would consider doing Saddleback by itself or possibly w/ Gothics. Big Slide by itself, or along w/ Yard. I might also consider Tom and Laurie's plan for Marcy.

I'd like to discuss all this w/ the more experienced winter climbers, especially the ones that know me. I've hiked a lot in the Catskills for two winters now, but have yet to hike in the ADKs in winter. I'm thinking through some specific issues, in particular the fact that I don't own an ice axe and have never used one. I'm not sure how necessary it will be for the peaks/routes I have in mind. I have a basic understanding of how they're used and know a lot depends on conditions. Anyhow, I look forward to learning and having fun on this trip. Ideally, I would climb 3 or 4 new peaks that I've never climbed, but I'm realistic about lowering ambitions somewhat in the winter. The important thing is to have a safe, enjoyable trip.

Matt

Ice Axe

mcorsar said:
I'd like to discuss all this w/ the more experienced winter climbers, especially the ones that know me. I've hiked a lot in the Catskills for two winters now, but have yet to hike in the ADKs in winter. I'm thinking through some specific issues, in particular the fact that I don't own an ice axe and have never used one. I'm not sure how necessary it will be for the peaks/routes I have in mind. Matt

I have carried an ice axe over a number of climbs but have had occasion to use it only 3-4 times. That said, I would anticipate that they may be helpful on the steep portions of Basin and Haystack for climbing, descending and as some insurance for self arrest (which I have never had to do fortunately). IMHO, if you can borrow, rent or otherwise obtain one it might be a bit of extra security especially where the ladders are iced over. I plan on bringing one and if necessary it may be possible to pass it up or down once a secure position is reached. If you are able to obtain one a fabric leash is also handy to help you hold on while asc- or descending.

Mike

Matt,

IMO (not worth much), there is a set of things that help to hold you in place on slippery sections. This set is composed of snowshoes, crampons, ice-axe, and pole. In many cases (not all), three of the four are sufficient. An icy section can be negociated with Ice-axe and snowshoes, or with crampons and a pole.

I did my winter 46 without crampons, but I had an ice axe. If I had crampons and no ice axe, I think it would have been pretty much the same. I did plan things to minimize routes taht would have a lot of ice. I did not climb/desend the cliffs of Saddleback. I didn't take the ridge trail on Giant, etc. Big slide via Yard has MUCH more gentle slopes. There was only one place that I worried about, and that was descending a small cliff on Armstrong. The worrying was needless at that time, since there was so much snow, it was a but-slide down.

mcorsar said:
I'd like to discuss all this w/ the more experienced winter climbers, especially the ones that know me. I've hiked a lot in the Catskills for two winters now, but have yet to hike in the ADKs in winter. I'm thinking through some specific issues, in particular the fact that I don't own an ice axe and have never used one. I'm not sure how necessary it will be for the peaks/routes I have in mind. I have a basic understanding of how they're used and know a lot depends on conditions. Anyhow, I look forward to learning and having fun on this trip. Ideally, I would climb 3 or 4 new peaks that I've never climbed, but I'm realistic about lowering ambitions somewhat in the winter. The important thing is to have a safe, enjoyable trip.

Matt, I know you are a very capable hiker. And since you have done the W35, you must have negotiated your share of snow and ice! If you went from Wittenberg to Slide in the Winter, then you had to climb the steep section on Cornell. You will see lots of places in the ADKs that are like that section. They will at times be sheets of ice. Other times they will have a light coating of fresh snow over ice, the worst! :eek: Some can be skirted. Some just have to be dealt with.

I like Pete's post. There are several ways to assist yourself in the winter when dealing with ice. Aggressive snowshoes mean having to change to crampons less frequently. There are days when not having to stop a lot can be critical to success. An ice axe and poles will also help. Like Pete, I own crampons, but have yet to use them in true Winter conditions (Cats or ADKs). I used them coming down Nippletop when the trail was completely iced over in November. I've found the combination of MSRs, axe, and pole, to be sufficient for all the cases I have encountered, including the ascent of Saddleback from Basin, Giant, Gothics, Big Slide, Wolf Jaws, Armstrong, Sawteeth, etc. That doesn't mean I don't bring crampons with me.

SkiDoc has a good idea. Laurie and I have axes. If there are several axes in a group, they can be shared. I did that once with a group of 4. We passed the axe back down (carefully!) to the other people below. This of course implies that the group agrees to stay together.

I'm flexible about the dates that we hike. The conditions will determine a lot for us anyway.

I was planning to hike in early Sunday morning dropping my main pack at the Interior Outpost Lean-to, then climbing Big Slide.
On the Monday I was planning Gothics-Armstrong-Upper Wolf-Low Wolf(maybe).
If others are interested in climbing Chicken Coop I would follow.
I have to walk out on Tuesday.

Amy and I are leaning toward saddleback/gothics or haystack/basin as well. We want to be realistic however, this is really our first winter trip. We trudged around in about 6 inches of the one snowfall we had in our brand new snowshoes...and after our crampons arrived it never went below freezing to even make fake ice to try them out ..they're still in the box :eek:
Amy has a mtneering axe, not an ice axe. We both have trekking poles. I'm not sure if she should bring that or not. We did Big Slide/Yard in November, but it was that freakishly warm weekend after that foot of snow, so all we got were wet boots crossing that stream 5 times, no practice in snow :( I think we're up for whatever, I'm excited to meet you all!