Hip Belt Organizer / Belt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
It seems like one of the things I fuss with the most hiking is where to keep those little things like sunglasses, reading glasses, phone, etc. so they're accessible while keeping your pack on. Can't seem to get a solution I like. Seems like there is always some sort of compromise no matter how I configure things. Most of my packs have inadequate or downright useless hip belt pockets and I find stuff dangling on the shoulder straps to be annoying. I tried a chest pocket briefly many years ago but found it extremely annoying.

I've seen hip belt organizers and I like the idea in theory but I wonder about the annoyance factor with these too. Do they bounce on your legs? Do you have to take it off to unbuckle your hip belt or is it connected to the hip belt versus a stand alone strap? If anyone is using one and has feedback or a recommendation I'd be curious to know. Thanks in advance.

I bought a pouch from the Army Surplus store in North Conway that slides onto my waistbelt. It's actually better than any I have seen in outdoor stores, cost about 24 bucks. It can be annoying the way it slaps against your leg, but if you can get by that, it works. I'm probably going to try a chest style next.

It seems like one of the things I fuss with the most hiking is where to keep those little things like sunglasses, reading glasses, phone, etc. so they're accessible while keeping your pack on. Can't seem to get a solution I like. Seems like there is always some sort of compromise no matter how I configure things. Most of my packs have inadequate or downright useless hip belt pockets and I find stuff dangling on the shoulder straps to be annoying. I tried a chest pocket briefly many years ago but found it extremely annoying.

I've seen hip belt organizers and I like the idea in theory but I wonder about the annoyance factor with these too. Do they bounce on your legs? Do you have to take it off to unbuckle your hip belt or is it connected to the hip belt versus a stand alone strap? If anyone is using one and has feedback or a recommendation I'd be curious to know. Thanks in advance.

I use a small “fanny” pack worn at the 12 o’clock position. It’s sits below the buckle of my pack’s hip belt buckle. I don’t feel it at all and it basically stays on unless I’m sleeping.

Amazon link:
https://a.co/d/5WF7JZZ

I carry:
  • Lighter
  • Aspirin
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Knife
  • Whistle
  • InReach
  • Map
I used to carry my cell phone in it till I got distracted and put my phone between the fanny pack and my shorts and walked away. Amazingly I found it on the ground the following day when back tracking. Now it goes in my left front pocket with a lanyard.

In the winter, I use a larger Mountainsmith Drift converted to a chest rig on my straps.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a small “fanny” pack worn at the 12 o’clock position. It’s sits below the buckle of my pack’s hip belt buckle. I don’t feel it at all and it basically stays on unless I’m sleeping.

Amazon link:

I carry:
  • Lighter
  • Aspirin
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Knife
  • Whistle
  • InReach
  • Map
I used to carry my cell phone in it till I got distracted and put my phone between the fanny pack and my shorts and walked away. Amazingly I found it on the ground the following day when back tracking. Now it goes in my left front pocket with a lanyard.

In the winter, I use a larger Mountainsmith Drift converted to a chest rig on my straps.
Thanks for the link. That is actually one of the items I bookmarked as a possibility so maybe I'll give that a try. I ordered a cheap pocket that is OK but seems a bit too small for what I wanted. I'm going to try it out this weekend but I can already sense I'm probably going to hate it....

Amazon link:

I carry:
  • Lighter
  • Aspirin
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Knife
  • Whistle
  • InReach
  • Map

Thanks for the link, @dave.m! The best feature I think is it can be collapsed into an egg-sized bag when I’m not using it. The only concern I have is the item is made in China. How long have you been using yours? I might buy this as a backup, but would probably need something else that is more durable.

Thanks for the link, @dave.m! The best feature I think is it can be collapsed into an egg-sized bag when I’m not using it. The only concern I have is the item is made in China. How long have you been using yours? I might buy this as a backup, but would probably need something else that is more durable.

I’ve been using mine, and it’s small backpack companion, for over 3 years I think.

The manufacturing quality is on par with any name brand things I have such as REI, EMS 🥲, Kelty, Mountainsmith, Jandd. If these, only Jandd stuff is MUSA.

It is a lightweight piece. But it’s not like a fanny pack worn at 12 o’clock gets much damage.

If you simply prefer the look of heavier kit, I imagine you could find something from Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear, Maxpedition, 5.11 and such like that.

REI, Mountsmith and Kelty often have stuff that would be in between.

IMO, the key feature for a backpacking (front) Fanny pack is a buckle next to the pack.