How Impassable is CVR in Winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Might be trying to bag the 6 peaks (Spaul/Sugar/Abe/Crockers/Red) which are considerably less distance if CVR (Caribou Valley Road) can be accessed; could a 4-wheel drive, high-clearance vehicle do it? Or is it closed off completely?

I really doubt my Honda Civic could do it, based upon what I've heard/read, maybe not even in 3-season conditions.

Cvr

Taken from VFT Maine
2/4/06

Conditions: CVR plowed to a point approx. 2.5 miles from Rt 27. From there to Caribou Pond and back toward Crocker is snowmobile packed. No more than 6" of snowcover. Herd path up to Redington has several feet of snow, fairly well packed by hikers.

Special Required Equipment: Bare boots ok on snowmobile tracks. Snowshoes required on herd path.

The CVR was easily drivable 1/31, on our way to the Crockers. My only cautions:
- crampons on the Crocker slide should be strongly considered
- concerned generally about high water and lack of ice bridges, most of us have climbed Sugarloaf by the ski trails and then over to Spaulding this winter. I don't have any specific info regarding the South Branch of the Carabassett (you have to cross it on the AT route to Sugarloaf), but it's a much larger river than Drake's Brook (Sandwich MT) and the New Haven River (Breadloaf/Wilson) which were both "interesting" crossings this past weekend.

I'll let you know Sunday

We're planning to bag Redington on Saturday, so I'll keep an eye out. My Honda Accord has low clearance, so we'll probably use another car, but I'll take note. Hope that is useful to you. In summer, the Accord bottomed out a few times from the bridge at about 3.5 miles on in. But I think now it may not be plowed that far in. (2.5 miles from the road is what I read, as you did, which leaves you 1.8 to the AT crossing, I think). My guess is if it's plowed you should be able to drive 2.5 miles with one of those low-riders from the movies, as long as you have good traction.

I agree about the crampons idea for Crocker, and the S Branch Carrabassett may indeed be very tricky.

-Weatherman

Last edited:
CVR today

... was well plowed to 3.3 miles in, about 0.3 prior to the wire bridge. Plenty of parking available, just be sure to avoid the logging operation. Clearance was no factor, but traction was! It's very icy. I'd recommend good snow tires or AWD. A few inches of snow (hopefully tomorrow?) would improve traction.
-Weatherman

Herd Path to Redington

Weatherman,

How difficult to follow was the herd path to Redington? Do you think the fresh snowfall will make it all but impossible for someone who's never bagged it before?

Wish I would have known about your group, I would've asked if I could've tagged along.

Not hard if you follow Mohamed's directions. In any case, looks like little snow so easy to follow because there are a zillion tracks right now. Here is a synopsis:

Park on CVR, 3.3 miles in
Follow the river: keep left on CVR for first 3.2 miles. Mileage, roughly, from your car:
Wire bridge: 0.3 miles
AT crossing: 1 mile
Summer parking (big wide area with prominent logging road going right, uphill, you do NOT take it): 2.1 miles
Road going left into a bog which you do NOT take:2.6 miles
Bridge on left over river: 3.2 miles- do NOT take it, hang a sharp right there. Elevation 2580 feet.
You go through an exposed area, slight uphill but mostly flat, for almost a mile more, then take a 90 degree right turn uphill on a wide logging road. Follow this road uphill (first real significant uphill) not quite a mile more till you are almost at the height of land. Take a left. There was a little flagging there. Be careful not to turn left prematurely! (we did)

Go about 0.4 miles, then a 90 degree right turn which takes you to the summit in about another 0.4 miles.

It is pretty well tracked out now. Hope this helps.
-weatherman