Hut Traverse Attempt July 1-4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kltilton

Reaction score
North Conway, NH Avatar: Skiing on Ethan Pond Trai
I plan on attempting a hut traverse this upcoming holiday weekend. If the weather and my body cooperate, I would like to go for the record. Any tips or trail conditions would be appreciated.

I plan on going from Carter Notch to Lonesome Lake.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
Not much assistance I can provide other than wishing you luck.

I am curious, what is the record?

just got this from mohammed's site: not sure if that 15K is the summits or not.

24 Hour Hut Traverse. Start at the Carter Notch Hut and go to Lonesome Lake Hut passing all the huts along the way (Madison, Lakes, Mizpah, Zealand, Galehead, Greenleaf). It is around 50 miles and over 15,000 feet of elevation gain, the objective is to do it in 24 hours (usually as one calendar day, starting at midnight and finishing before midnight). It is not required to do the summits, some people do them. In fact some people include Pinkham as a "hut", and so leave Carter Notch by the Wildcat Ridge to Pinkham, then on to Madison etc.

Go Kevin Go. Would be great for a Local to Own that record. Best of Luck!

giggy said:
not sure if that 15K is the summits or not.
I doubt it. Most folks who do the Hut Traverse don't hit them. They are just interested in getting to the huts. Except for Washington, avoiding the summts doesn't save you a huge amount, although I bet it feels like it.

Good luck on the attempt, godspeed.

-dave-

When I figured this out a while ago, I came up with 49.5 miles and 15,650 ft of elevation gain. Elevation loss would be a bit over 16,000 ft. If you’re out to break the record, the only advice I can give you is to go fast. ;)
Good luck.

JohnL

Go Kevin!

Best of luck on your attempt, Kevin - if there is anyone who can beat Matt's astounding record, you are one of the few.

I made a late season attempt (in the same direction) a few years back, but didn't even come close (16 hrs 20 min - I think I was just leaving Garfield at the 13 hour mark, shaking my head in wonder at Matt's time)

Great job on the Mount Washington footrace, BTW!

giggy said:
In fact some people include Pinkham as a "hut", and so leave Carter Notch by the Wildcat Ridge to Pinkham, then on to Madison etc.
In the '60s Pinkham definitey was on the route but Mizpah was not (not built yet). I'm not sure whether some people drop Pinkham as a political protest over calling it a hut or just to make it easier. In any case, Chris Goetze used Rte.16 and Aqueduct Path rather than Wildcat Ridge when he broke the then-record.

i attempted once from the other direction. i can't "run" but hiked as fast as possible. didn't finish in the 24 hours, but made it in about 26. considering your direction i am thinking the toughest sections will be from crawford to the top of lafayette, in particular the garfield ridge section. be sure to save some energy for ups.....and downs too i guess....and back up.....
have fun.

bryan

Well, I'm wandering over Hale to Zealand Hut with my daughter Squeaky on Sunday (7/2). We're using the trip for another Fool Scout Trail Magic Patrol.

If you think you are heading that way, let me know - I'll set aside a couple ice cream sandwiches for you. :D

Update: I'm finishing my packing and heading up to Carter Notch pretty soon. I plan on starting out at 5:30AM tommorow. Thanks for the info and encouragement everyone. Enjoy the weather tommorow and say hi if you see me. I'll be wearing blue shorts and a black and gray shirt, if I'm wearing one at all. And an orange CamelBak.

I may stop the run at Crawford Notch depending on how I feel after the Presis. If I'm feeling good, on to Lonesome Lake.

Run Kevin Run!!!!!!

It would be GREAT for you to blow away Cull's record!!! :) :) :) Wish I could offer support, but I'm busy playing in Colorado...... :D :D :D

Let us know how it goes!

Stinky (whose best HT time out of 4 tries/4 completions was 18:15) :D