Ice Gulch - Sat. July 30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
I'll be taking my camera, bug dope and sticky boots up into Ice Gulch (in Randolph north of Route 2) on Saturday the 30th. It's a six mile loop with nominal elevation gain and lots of scrambling over, under and around boulders. I'll be going counterclockwise.

If you'd care to join me, meet me at the Dunkin' Donuts on Route 2 in Gorham. I plan to leave there at 10AM.

This hike supercedes my plan to do Mahoosuc Notch which will be inaccessible due the closure of Success Pond Road because of a sports car rally on that day.

Bob, if you are hiking down the notch via Cook path (my favorite way contrary to the WMG) rather than up it, I would recomend that you do not do Boothman Springs cut off as it has gotten very hard to distinguish the trail from all the paths (and broken down farm equipment). If you are going up the gulch, then finding your way out via Boothman Springs is not a problem and the spring is kind of nice on a hot day.

I'm looking for a report too.
I like the warning given in a hiking guide I have (from a private author), the following quote is approximate as I don't have it in front of me:
"If you broke a leg here or got seriously hurt, we would probably not be able to carry you out on a Stokes litter but would probably have to bring in food and water and wait until you healed."