identifying woodpecker sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Is it possible to know what species made these holes, or at least narrow it down? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the piliated. ;)

These are on a birch. The holes are about the size of a pea, and 3/4" deep.

01060820a.jpg

These are on a hemlock. The holes are about the size of a bb, and about 1/4" deep.

01060826a.jpg

Thanks for any help.

happy trails :)

Not sure about the first picture, but I'm pretty sure those multiple straight line holes in the second one were made by a yellow bellied sapsucker. I had one of those kill a pine tree in my backyard and they look identical.

Last edited:
The yellow-bellied sapsucker will ring a tree, usually a birch, which is what kills the tree. I know this because my mother-in-law owns a tree farm, primarily for raising Christmas trees, but also for firewood and other timber sales. Her husband is a forester, birder, and hiker (he got me started on the NH48 in fact.) He's pointed out the damage said birdies have done to some of his favorite trees.

Doesn't mean this isn't a YBSS... Just a possibly interesting point on the species.

Tim

Pea-sized, in a line or not, definitely suggests Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Interesting fact: my understanding is that the birds don't "eat" the sap, but instead make the holes, then return later to munch on the insects that take up residence in the wound. They're farming! :D

Forestgnome, since you're frequently asking about tracks and animal sign, are you familiar with the guides by Mark Elbroch? They're very comprehensive, and you'd probably enjoy them.

cushetunk said:
Forestgnome, since you're frequently asking about tracks and animal sign, are you familiar with the guides by Mark Elbroch? They're very comprehensive, and you'd probably enjoy them.

He recently made a presentation about mountain lions in Wells, ME., but I didn't make it. Thanks for the info. Mark seems to be quite an expert and author. I googled and found his site.:
http://www.wildlifetrackers.com/markelbroch/

Since Santa didn't bring the book I wished for, I'll decide on one of these. I'm always hesitant for fear that a guide book won't be what I specifically need. I want to learn all I can about the ecology of the White Mountains. The more I see, the more puzzles I find, but that's a good thing.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds, Eastern Region, 2nd edition (1994), p.571 #364 says
Sapsuckers get their name from their habit of boring holes in the cambium layer or inner bark, letting the sap exude and run down the trunk. The birds wipe up or suck the oozing sap with their brush-like tongues. They return again and again to the same tree and also consume the insects attracted to the sap. Unfortunately, sapsucker holes damage trees and sometimes provide points of entry for fungus and other diseases.
HTH,
Tim

Last edited:
Is the birch in the first photo dead?

I rule out sapsuck on the birch in this photo because the holes are to big and there is no matrix pattern.

My guess would be Hairy. Downies usually work the limbs, just under the surface of the bark. A birch this size is not usually in Black backed habitiat. You are to far north for the Red bellies. Three toed are very rare in the north east (there are some in Essex county VT) and finally most healthy people can't drink enough to make this into a red cockaded or an ivory bill. :)

BTW I got my year's first Lapland Longspur in a flock of Horned larkes yesterday :D

Thanks for the responses! Here's a look at the birch, which was very much alive, along the Pine Bend Brook.

01060819a.jpg

Holes

I don't know about the holes, but I have seen and photographed a 3 Toed in the Whites. If I can remember when and where I will post the photo. I saw my first Red Bellied at my suet feeder in Kingston (southeastern) NH a few weeks ago. So it is not impossible it was one of these. The first picture looks more like boring insect holes to me.

KDT

The hemlock definitely shows YBSS sign, while the live birch holes look like hairy woodpecker sign to me (definitely not YBSS and likely not downy either).

Nice Pics! :)

Kevin said:
I don't know about the holes, but I have seen and photographed a 3 Toed in the Whites. If I can remember when and where I will post the photo. I saw my first Red Bellied at my suet feeder in Kingston (southeastern) NH a few weeks ago. So it is not impossible it was one of these. The first picture looks more like boring insect holes to me.

KDT

No not imposible but not very plausible. They are moving north at a steady pace. About 20 years ago they were uncommon in southern New England. Now they are a daily bird in CT. Northern NH is out of thier range. At any rate both of these woodpeckers that you mentioned are of interest to the RBA in NH. They can be reported here.

http://www.virtualbirder.com/bmail/nhbirds/200801/08/index.html
http://www.nhaudubon.org/rarebirdarchives/rarebird.htm

Please post or PM re: your Three Toed. I am on a quest for that bird.

Insects could have made the holes, good point. Perhaps a wasp or carpenter bee?

Black Backed Three Toed Woodpecker

I took this shot on Mount Lincoln 3/14/04. I had never heard of one, let alone seen one. I knew I was seeing something uncommon, but didn't know what. Not the greatest shot, but good enough for identification.

3toed.jpg

KDT