Iditarod endurance race( no, not the dogsled version)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Check this out. I was at a meeting yesterday and a friend I hadn't seen in a while mentioned this race. Apparently, runners, bikers and skiers race the same course as the sled dog race. The trail is groomed and packed down, but its done a week before the race. Of course, in Alaska, storms can come in and dump snow on the course at any time, forcing the bikers to carry their gear laden bikes for long distances.
His son came in 8th in last year's race and had a chance to win but for an equipment failure. The use mountain bikes with 4" wide tires and with emergency food, tent, clothing in the panniers, the bikes weigh in around 75 lbs. Due to a snow storm, some of the riders had to carry their fully loaded bikes all day thru fresh snow.
One contestent fell into a stream and with overnight temps falling into the -35 degree range, took shelter in a hole in a large tree. Put on just one layer of underwear. When body heat dried it, put on successive layers, one at a time until the wet clothes dried during the night.
Very few checkpoints or aid along the race, and the contestants receive food drops by air at the pre-appointed places along their route. While no bears to look out for, racers apparently have to be aware of wolves.
I'm in awe of what it takes to try this, let alone finish and compete.
Thought you'd enjoy reading about it.

http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/alaska_ultra_home_page.html

Ghost Trails by Jill Homer would be a great read for anyone who thinks this sounds interesting. She rode this race in 2007 and 2008. Her then boyfriend ran it. When I read this book I could hardly put it down. Excellent read for hiker, cyclist, skier, winter enthusiast, etc. Jill keeps a blog website where one can order her book or read about her prep and winter rides.http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/