Igloo on Bondcliff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4000

Reaction score
We are planning a trip into the Bonds via Bondcliff.

Is there a site 15 feet in diameter that would be suitable
for an igloo (we use the ICE BOX)? I know there were logging camps way back. My last visit was 76. They are probably "beeched in" now

The furthur up Black Brook and Bondcliff the better.

Thanks for your input!

CS/BMT

At the beginning of the Bondcliff trailhead off Wilderness Path, it's level and you'll find plenty of spots. I believe you can squeeze something of that size just before the last stream crossing, but it might be close. Haven't been up there in a few years, so someone else may help to clarify.

Down low, it's all hardwoods so it should be easy.

I agree with dug that your best bet is down low, not long after that trail intersection. A word of caution, however - is some areas there are lots of "No camping" signs tacked to trees. A bit hard to spot during the day, but jump out at you under the light of a headlamp. And frankly, I don't know if the same restrictions apply when there's snow cover.

From the WMNF Backcountry Rules 2008-09:

Camping in the Alpine Zone
(where trees are 8 feet tall or less)
No camping except on 2 or more feet of snow
No camping on frozen bodies of water
No wood or charcoal fires
Please note that the above treeline areas of Cutler
River Drainage (Tuckerman and Huntington
Ravines and the areas around them including the
Alpine Garden and East Snowfields) are closed to
camping regardless of snow cover.

There are additional rules at the link regarding proximity to trails and other features, plus specific rules for the Wilderness Areas.

Last edited:
I looked at the link sardog1 provided above, and found this:

Additional regulations for Presidential/Dry River
and Pemigewasset:
No camping, wood or charcoal fires within 200
feet of any trail except at designated campsites

If I'm reading this correctly, you could camp down low in the hardwoods so long as you were greater than 200' of the trail. Shouldn't be too hard to find a spot.

What is interesting is you can still be within the old Camp 16 footprint, and be several hundred feet off the trail. Most of the old platform sites (if not all) have a "No Camping" triangle on a tree. Not sure if that does apply in the winter?

So it looks like you might need to make a 2' thick snowbase for the igloo, above treeline, and at least 200' away from the trail ;)

PM me with pictures! :D

CS: Right HERE (note: it could be a bit further where you see the flat spot on the map. It's been a few years...). You'll get to a flattish area with a 10-15 foot bank on your left (sorry, no ATM :rolleyes: ). Climb up the bank and there is a nice flat spot over some short spruce. Very nice area for a Beta/Megamid, and s/b a great spot for an igloo with all the snow this year.

Hey SK,
Yes !!!!!
I rememeber you and I discussing this spot.

Man I wish you could join us at base camp.

You know we'll leave the candle on for ya!

Hey man, big hugs,

CS/BMT

Sherpa
Is it the spot up high off the logging road at 3280?

I hope its there or we'll be like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest .

Up that high with no room at the Inn

CS/BMT