interesting NY DEC info/article on Bobcats.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobcats, yes.........very shy creatures. I have seen them cross the road in front of me a few times, but never while in the woods. I think sightings might happen more frequently if we all subscribed to "Budda" :rolleyes: My Sister talked about Budda allot until she visited China. :D Thanks for the article ;)

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure we saw some Bobcat tracks near Indian Pass & Wallface last weekend.

I heard the Jersey bobcats are getting tired of taking orders from the Manhattan bobcats and have been taking matters into their own hands.

--M.

Bobcat in Voorhesville, NY

From an article in the Thursday Albany paper:

A bobcat that prowled the fields and woods around Voorheesville High School was found dead Wednesday along Route 307.
Once rare, the bobcat has seen a resurgence in Albany County.
Their rise is due to a drop in disease, among other factors, Stone said. As Albany County's dairy farms disappear, so do the domestic cat illnesses that kill bobcats. When woodlands replace farms, the bobcat finds a larger habitat.
Times Union Article

i've had a bobcat cross in front of me while driving as well. is a bobcat the same as a cougar? where does mountain lion fit into the picture? i think i recall that it was a mountain lion that mauled and killed that mountain biker in california a couple of years ago.

No, the Bobcat is not the same as the Cougar (normally, quite a bit smaller). I have read some interesting articles regarding Cougar sitings in the ADK's and the surrounding areas, but the DEC discounts them as people releasing them into the wild after keeping them as pets. Very interesing creatures......