Iroquois to Marshall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
Has anyone been down the herd path from Shepherds Tooth to Iroquois Pass this winter? Heard of anyone? What should I expect in winter? Has anyone ever done it in winter before?

I've done it in summer and remember the herd path being quite narrow and tight with overhanging trees. I'm sure that hasn't changed much.

Spence, our group of four did a winter traverse of the (4) major peaks from Wright to Marshall in winter years ago. The key to successful winter peak bagging (especially off trail) in the Adirondacks is snow conditions. We had a fairly stable base from thaw and refreeze with a fresh powder cover (good snowshoe grip). I recall some steeper slopes down from Shepherds Tooth as being drawn through a single line opening through scrub bushes (the herd path you describe?). In the fully wooded forest before reaching the trail through the Iroquois/Marshall col, we came across an extended 25-30 ft high cliff that we had to search for a place to descend and drop from the overhanging trees (?) you mention. In all it was a long but spectacular day winter adventure for sure. Hope your trip goes just as well!

Spencer,

You gotta be kidding us? With your history and cliffs? The time you almost swashed Nick on Stewart...the times(fill in the blank) :eek: when you almost flattened :eek: (fill in the blank) by falling over backward or loading the branches too much.

Thats some serious steep stuff above the Pass. Deep snow should slide nicely over all the icy drops.

Brian, PLEASE bring video equipment.

How Much More to Just Take the Trail to Marshall?

How much more would it be to do Iroquois to Marshall via the trails past Lake Colden- 1 to 2 hours? (as opposed to bushwhacking past Shepard's Tooth, etc., as described in the above posts)

It's not the distance it's the elevation, loss and gain. It wouldn't be worth it. It would be about a 1/2 back to the trail from Iroquois, and hour down to lake Colden, 1/2 hour to Herbert Brook, 1.5 hour up. Try 3-4 hours over.

I did it in two trips, since I started the post. But I would like to do the traverse this spring or fall, if anyone is interested.

Peak Bgr,

I might be interested in coming up either 14 to 16 March (Wed to Fri) or 22 to 24 (Thus to Fri) March.

I usually don't like to commit until I'm sure of my plans, hence the uncertainty. But we share 1 common interest, (photography), & I'd like to make it up before all that lovely white stuff turns into mud.

Plus, if you're going far enough to bag Algonquin, then why not Iroquois, so & on & so on... hey, if we get an early enough start & enough sleep the night before, then why not Colden, too? Sunset pix of the Great Range would be awesome... or would Tabletop & Saddleback obscure it?

Great topic!

I have long wanted to do Iroquois to Marshall via the Shepard's Tooth. I will likely do it in the summer and will start at Marshall. I have heard of the cliff danger from Shepard's Tooth if you descend from it. There are some posting on summitpost.com under 'Shepard's tooth' about this I believe.

I am glad to hear this has been navigated in winter, cause I didn't find any info on it when I looked a while back. I need to bag Iroquois and Marshall but have the other mac's so I want to string these together with out excessive elevation gain/loss. The adk's are good at that! I have done Colden but I myself wouldn't string it together with other peaks because of gain/loss. And because the Trap Dyke is on Colden :D

Last edited:
We descended from Shepherd Tooth to Iroquois Pass one summer with full packs (60 pounds)-we had no cliff issues we couldn't easily over come. However, winter conditions change that alot. Ice is always a huge factor.

I am interested in this trip, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marshall in spring for my spring round. So anytime after the 21st of March is cool.

Lets get a gang of us.

Whose in???

dom15931 said:
I have long wanted to do Iroquois to Marshall via the Shepard's Tooth. I will likely do it in the summer and will start at Marshall. I have heard of the cliff danger from Shepard's Tooth if you descend from it.
I've done it both ways and found it the descent from Shepard's Tooth easier than the ascent - in summer.

lx93 said:
Was the Shepard's Tooth so steep that you wouldn't even think it possible to ascend/descend when it is covered in ice?

The bottom band of cliffs and chimneys would be extremely tough and dangerous with this year's early glazing of ice. You can bear to your left when you hit them (in summer conditions) and work down some very manageable ledges, but a slip on ice means a 20 foot drop on to the boulders of the pass below. I'm sure those experienced with ice climbing could rope in and drop down with no problem, but you are a long way from help if something does go south.

Doc, Beverly,

Thanx for the input. Guess some things are better off for ice-free times...

I hated to sound dumb in having asked such a question, but I've only done 3 ADK peaks so far (all easy & none of them near the Mac Range), so... Plus, in the Whites, there have been sections of trail where descriptions have been really off (usually described as harder than it really was), so I've found that it's usually best to ask several opinions.

Last edited:
Lake Colden to Iriqois Via Shepard's Tooth

Anyone have an idea of where to leave the trail on the way up from lake colden in cold brook pass. Would it be easier to follow cold brook up from where it intersects the trail?

FYI: I have 1.5 years of ice seasons under my belt and we would have technical tools and a short rope (if necessary, this coming weekend)...

There are cairns for both the Tooth, and within a 100' or so, the Marshall path, both on their respective sides of the trail. (Of course, probably now covered by snow). These trips are usually done in winter by people who are well versed with the areas in the non-winter months.

Doc McPeak said:
There are cairns for both the Tooth, and within a 100' or so, the Marshall path, both on their respective sides of the trail. (Of course, probably now covered by snow). These trips are usually done in winter by people who are well versed with the areas in the non-winter months.

I know where the marshall path is... did it a few years back... didnt see cairns for the tooth... though could very well likely be buried in winter...

"These trips are usually done in winter by people who are well versed with the areas in the non-winter months."

Doesnt bother me at all... I'm not your usual hiker...

blacklab2020 said:
I know where the marshall path is... did it a few years back... didnt see cairns for the tooth... though could very well likely be buried in winter...
"These trips are usually done in winter by people who are well versed with the areas in the non-winter months."
Doesnt bother me at all... I'm not your usual hiker...
As best as I can recall - last time I did the Tooth to Marshall, when we came to the trail - we headed towards Indian Pass for a few minutes before we came to the herd path for Marshall in June '04.

From Don B's report that day:
Thence we rambled to Iroquois at 10:30, all the while enjoying the relatively mudless herd path and the extensive views in all directions. A 20 minute descent over bare rock and through dense interlocking brittle spruce brought us to Shepherd's Tooth, a rocky prominence SW of Iroquois. From the notch separating the tooth from the mountain, we then followed a faint herd path (240 degrees magnetic) down to the top of the cliffs framing Algonquin Pass, only 100 feet above the trail through the pass. We searched for a way through the cliffs, finding the remains of a bivouac on a ledge, before striking a gully on the left (SE) end of the cliffs. From this faint herd path, it was less than 5 minutes NW along the trail to the cairn marking the distinct herd path to Marshall