Isle Royale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
We are thinking about hitting Isle Royale National Park during a big road trip this summer. It sounds like such a cool place: wolves, moose, trails, and no automobiles. :)

I'm particularly intrigued by the 40-mile Greenstone Ridge Trail.

Anyone on this board been there? Recommendations? Are the mosquitoes horrible in August?

Thanks,
Sue

Never been there myself, but at one of the fire tower conferences somebody had slides - there were like 4 towers on the route. Not very much travelled then. They backpacked but I assume this is a daytrip for you :)

Seeing how it takes so much effort to get to/from the island, we are thinking of taking our time, soaking it all in, and backpacking it in 3 days. Bet it would be fun to do it one shot, too!

The literature says Isle Royale gets less visitors in an entire year than Yosemite gets on one summer day. :eek:

I haven't been to Isle Royale, but I imagine the bug situation isn't too much different from Sibley. By August the mosquitoes should be fairly settled down and even the blackflies should be tolerable. Definitely take your time and allocate an extra day for explorations around your ferry start point. Coming in from MN or MI?

(It's a shame they never figured out a way to run ferries from Silver Islet; it's as close as Grand Portage and much closer than the Michigan routes, and Thunder Bay could use the tourism money.)

Its been years since I backpacked there but it was a wonderful trip. I spent about 5 days doing a loop hike so did not hit the entire greenwood ridge. For the most part, you did not see anyone on the trail during the day. The campsites tended to be full at night though. I was also there in August and it was a busy month on the Island. Some of the campsites are on the water in inlets and have docks for boats. At one camping site we met some fisherman who were docked there (plus was fresh lake trout for dinner!) You need a permit from the NPS to camp. We took the ferry over out of Copper Harbor and came back into Houghton-Hancock. It takes some time to get there; longer drive to Copper Harbor but shorter ferry ride. I think it was the better part of a day to take the ferry out of Houghton Hancock. Not sure about the ferry out of MN. You may need advance reservations for the ferry too. We saw lots of moose, fox and loons. I'd post some pics but it was before the day of digital cameras.

Haven't been there 'cuz you can't get a dog there. However, I do know from deer flies and horse flies in northern Minnesota in August. And so do the NPS folks: "Bugs in Isle Royale National Park'" Read it now, before the weeping commences later . . . ;)

On the bright side, you've got the best possible breeze exposure in the entire North Woods, so pray for gusty air. And if you're going via Grand Portage, DO NOT fail to stop in Grand Marais and eat at the Angry Trout Cafe.

p.s. What's the difference between a deer fly and a horse fly? Jeans will stop the former, but not the latter.

Last edited:
Spoke with a friend who made a trip a few years back. He went in in late July early August...yes bugs. He was on a hike and got scared off the trail by a bull moose in the trail.

He had a great time and would go back in aheart beat.

Latest posts