Isolation via Glen Boulder 9-27-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakn

Reaction score
Met Mohamed at Rocky Branch Trailhead at 7:45. We spotted a car there and drove to the Glen Boulder Trailhead and were on the trail at 8:08. It promised to be a beautiful day with cool temps. As we were on the East side of the mountain, the sun warmed things up pretty quickly and we were soon removing layers.
The grade seemed moderate with good footing but gradually steepened significantly. Once out of the trees (back on with the Shells) we started to pick up beautiful views which only got better as we gained elevation. Approaching the Glen Boulder there were numerous steep sloping rocks to negotiate, which slowed us (me) down. The knowledge that once we reached the Davis Path it would be mostly downhill was good motivation.
The footing on the Glen Boulder Trail and the Davis Path was mostly excellent. Once back below tree-line the trail became muddy in spots but not bad. However this was just a prelude to the descent.
I get a very annoying and all too frequent hamstring cramp about half way through any strenuous hike. Predictably, about a tenth of a mile from the Isolation Spur it hit me. Fortunately 5 minutes of massage and positive thinking cleared it and it didn’t return for the rest of the hike. Though not in spasm it was uncomfortable.
The views from Isolation were unbelievable. Colors are approaching peak. The sky was clear and the summit not at all windy. To the West we could see Eisenhower, the Willey Range, and beyond that Franconia Ridge. To the East the Wildcats, Carters, Moriah we think and a ridge over near Maine. North, Big George. It didn’t matter that I couldn’t identify all of the peaks. Mohamed knew many of them. It was just a beautiful, spiritual place to be for the all too brief moment in time. As Mohamed said, “Life is Good”.
Starting down, we realized that we wouldn’t make it out before dark. Both the Isolation and Rocky Branch trails were more than muddy. Muck and Mire doesn't begin to describe it. They were inches deep in water causing a continuous rock hopping situation or plunge into mud above the ankles. Although the grade is relatively gentle this really slowed us down.
Due to the late hour, we decided to stick with the trails and not attempt the standard bushwhack to avoid River crossings. The 5 crossings required thought (mostly Mohamed’s) but he led over the perfect choice of rocks each time, so there no mishaps.
Out we finally came using our headlamps at 7:45 PM. 11 hours, 35 minutes, exactly 12 hours from when we met at Rocky Branch. Tired, but pleased that mission was accomplished. This was definitely a peak hiking experience.
I have to say that Mohamed is a true gentleman and a pleasure to hike with, never once seeming impatient with my slow pace. Thanks Mohamed.

Life is good : ) I'll second that!! Sounds like you had quite a day and a nice one at that, enjoyed reading your TR.
kmac

It was a great hike, thanks to Harry (peakn) for making it possible.

I remembered that there was some scrambling going up to Glen Boulder; I had forgotten how steep it was (the WMG had warned us!). But the views were as good as I remembered. Great views on the way up, and outstanding views when we stopped at the tiny "summit" of Slide Peak. From Isolation we had one of the best views into Oakes Gulf and the Dry River that I have seen.

In addition to the foliage the sedges along the high ridge were golden; I often think of "amber fields of grain" when I see them at this time of the year.

I did the short "bushwhack" to the summit of North Isolation, about a hundred feet or so off the trail. Nice open woods, there seemed to be an indistinct herd path to the highest rock.

Very, very wet trails, both Isolation going down from the ridge and Rocky Branch on both sides of the hight of land.

A long, tiring day, but well worth it. Life is good!!!!

I have hiked to Isolation on three separate occasions, but my favorite way is via Glen Boulder Trail and Davis Path. I love the way you get above treeline very quickly and then get to enjoy the views for so long. The views from Isolation are some of the best in the Whites. I really like the way you get a different perspective on Mt. Washington (the summit cone really looks HUGE from Iso), as well the southern Presidentials.

I recall lots of mud on Isolation Rocky Branch trails when I hiked it and it was one of the driest summers we had ever had!!!

Glad you had such a great hike. I am headed up to Crawford Notch for a 4 day hut trip beginning on Sunday. I can't wait and hope that the weather will allow for some good views and spectacular foliage.

Little Bear

This was a great way to do this hike- did it like this with Rols last month- although the slog across Rocky Branch made me think there must be a more enjoyable way to get out of there even if you have to do more mileage. The approach to and descent of Davis Path was great in nice weather.

Tuco said:
This was a great way to do this hike- did it like this with Rols last month- although the slog across Rocky Branch made me think there must be a more enjoyable way to get out of there even if you have to do more mileage. The approach to and descent of Davis Path was great in nice weather.

It is actually shorter to do a rt via Glen Boulder than it is to traverse, or do GB in and RB out...of course the kicker is that there is a substatial uphill on the way back if you RT via Glen Boulder - about 1300 to 1500 feet more gain than the other two options...