"Issue" with MSR Lightning Ascents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 30" MSRs that I bought in December, with maybe 100 miles or so over mixed terrain and some great climbs this winter. Is morning I noticed that the right 'show has developed a pretty noticeable sing in the rail, just about adjacent to the instep. I'm not aware of any impact (bare rocks? Slamming in the trunk of the car?) tha could hav cause it.

I'm wondering if this is a design flaw, manufacturing flaw, or something i did. Anybody else experiencd this?

I guess I'll try to return them to EMS tomorrow...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB
Hello Scubahhh,

You are not alone in having issues with the MSR lightnings frame. Here is a thread I started that directly addresses this issue. I would suggest the MSR Evo Ascents. A lot of people love their Tubbs and Axis snowshoes, but I have had very good luck with the MSRs with the plastic decking material. The televators are great on the steeps FWIW.

Good luck.

Z :D

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?48066-When-gear-goes-bad&highlight=good+gear

Mine did that too. That was after being re-cramponed by MSR once after they had the standard, well-documented, not-if-but-when crampon/binding failure (7 miles from the road at 4,600' in a 7-foot snowpack, LOL). I bent them back into shape the best I can with the tools at my disposal, and at some point I'll send them in to see what they can/will do about it.

It's too bad ... these are in many ways very pleasant 'shoes to use, but they are clearly not as reliable as we'd like them to be.