It's Official!!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohh you calender watchers :D - I didn't even realize it was officially winter today :p :p :p

- I guess that mean I have to get out my winter gear - oh wait - thats been out since late october. ;) :p ;) :p :D :)

In my mind, winter begins after the first snow or first sub 10 degree morning...whichever comes first! It ends with thunderstorm season or whenever all that snow melts off the peaks! So for me it started in October and will likely last till May or June :D

grouseking

giggy said:
- I guess that mean I have to get out my winter gear - oh wait - thats been out since late october. ;) :p ;) :p :D :)

Yeah - I hear you - I have no official winter 4ks, but I have hiked on so much snow this year - March thru May and since October! Winter gear is always out! :D

And the "next" most important day during winter would have to be GROUNDHOG DAY on Feb 2nd!
Will we have six more weeks of winter or not? ;)

I love winter....ice...snow...and COLD! :)

a great start to winter

senate blocks alaska refuge oil drilling
the yankees will make sure damon gets a haircut
nyc transit strike has me riding 16+ miles a day

happy solstice everyone

Try waking up in Buffalo everyday... matters none to those in these parts. Heck we waterski in snow in the middle of summer. The snow is at least 40 feet right now outside of the office... Winter Solstice came just after July 4th.

We not only look forward to longer days, but also take part in many ancient Solstice traditions like the Romanian family fertility ritual. :D

Winter's been around in the mountains since at least October 27th, when I enjoyed a hike up Wildcat for a ride down on 4 feet of snow! :)

Winter solstice is special. Moon is floating across the sky at her highest declination, providing nice moonlight for snowy nights.

Merry Christmas!!!

(more snow coming this weeekend) :)

Last edited:
sapblatt said:
Its been winter for two hours - anyone bagged anything yet? :D

Thanks to the transit strike, I bagged the round trip from Grand Central Station to Wall Street.

Remember people...

There will be two seconds more daylight tomorrow.

Don't forget your sunscreen!

McRat said:
Remember people...

There will be two seconds more daylight tomorrow.

Don't forget your sunscreen!

Does this mean we will be having 80 degree weather again soon and I don't have to keep changing my outfits when I hike?

Autumn's adieu

I’ll freely admit that I am a winter fanatic but my hike yesterday was purposely done before the official start time to bid adieu to autumn. And I felt like autumn bid adieu to me as I looked down the row of holes made by hiking pole baskets each one had a leaf in them as if someone walked ahead of me and placed them there, one per hole. :)